Please tell me I am not a racist

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by skaught, Sep 3, 2008.

1. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Let me preface by first saying that I am all about equality. I do not believe that any people are inferior or superior to any other people. This thread is about some of the experiences I have at my school. But I would like to say before hand that I treat everyone the same. I smile at people when they look at me. I try to make an effort to sit at the same table as people of different colors or nationalities than I am so as so broaden my horizons.

This is my second year in school. I attend a local community college called Minneapolis Community and Technical College. http://www.minneapolis.edu/
    It is a very diverse school with people from all over the world. For the most part, my experiences with minorities has been great. Most of them are friendly and glad to be here and have the opportunity to get a good education. They enjoy getting to know Americans and generally seem to like us.

However, I have been noticing some thoughts coming into my head that I am not too proud of. I finally admitted to myself today that I am getting fed up with African Americans. Just to give a few examples:

In my math class. I always sit in the front of the class. A young black girl sat next to me on the first day of class. She had not yet bought her text books, so needed to share mine. Then when the teacher put the assignment sheet on the overhead, she couldn't see it cause she claimed she forgot her glasses, so she needed me to write it down for her. Then just before class was over, she asked me if I could photocopy the homework out of the textbook for her. I told her I did not have time as I had another class in ten minutes and still needed to use the restroom. She told me to wait and began scribbling something onto a piece of paper. It was her e-mail address and she was actually asking me to e-mail her all of the problems. I told her that was a bit much, but if I had time I would try to. Next day in class, she still hadn't bought her text books, or her glasses and still needed me to write everything down for her to see. She finally today got the textbooks but still no glasses.
    In the same class, two black students sit behind me and they were talking al throughout the lecture. The instructor is a little old lady who doesn't talk very loud, so their talking was very disruptive. I finally glanced back at them and they both looked at me like I was the rude one.

Last semester in my English class one of the black students was caught more or less red handed plagiarizing another student. She freaked out, called the teacher a bitch, said it was "fucked" to be accused like that.And stormed out of the class. This same girl demonstrated to me a number of times throughout the class that she did not have a clue what we were supposed to be doing (We were doing rhetorical analysis) She was totally unprepared everyday and always coming in late and was very disruptive. Another black male student in that class never got passed mean mugging me despite my efforts of smiling at him and asking how he was doing. Helping him by turning his homework into the teacher once when he couldn't make it to class and saw me before hand.

In the halls between class, black students walk around like they own the place. They never move out of your way at all when you are walking towards each other. I have countless time almost been knocked over by them. They NEVER smile back on the rare occasion that eye contact is made. In the cafeteria The cooks are all black and give other black students much larger portions, and then the cashiers charge them less. They never bring their trash to the garbage receptacles. They always leave a huge mess on the tables and all over the floor. Outside they smoke in non designated smoking areas and throw their cigarette butts on the ground.

I was talking to a guy from somalia who said he "Hated these niggers". and hates that people think that he is one of these "niggers".

I finally had it today and felt myself feeling a feeling that I didn't like. But after noticing all this shit and all these behaviors. I cannot help it. I'm so sick of them.

I am a very observant person, And while I do see people of every color/creed/nationality behave thusly, It is few and far between that I see people of other nationalities behave this way. With the African American students, it is literally an everyday thing.

I'm not trying to create a "I hate black people thread and here's why". I want input. Do other people notice these same things, and how do you deal with it. How do you stop yourself from feeling strong negative feelings toward these people. Am I just being a bigot? I don't want to be racist. I have many black members in my family. And I have always loved them dearly, and my feelings toward them have not changed since all of this. But I fear that if this keeps up, that I may change into someone that I don't want to be.

Thoughts...

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

One of my best friends, an african-american pointed out to me,"There's People, then there's ignant people. ignant people act like asses and claim it is because of their race/creed/religion/whathaveyou. Other ignant people start thinkin that all people of that race/creed/religion/whathaveyou are the way they see the ignant people actin like. Thievin niggas, dirty rednecks, lazy wetbacks. Those are the ignant. We have to overcome such damned foolishness." I have to agree. Hate the individual all you want, just remember that it is making him happy. If you hate the race as a whole, this is wrong.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

I agree. I don't want to hate the whole race. I guess the problem I am facing but didn't say above is that I am noticing that I am starting to prejudge black people. I see a black student and I am starting to automatically assume he is going to behave like most of the black students I have had experiences with. And I don't like being that way. How do I stop myself from thinking thusly?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Overcome your pride/fear. Walk up and introduce yourself. Especially if they have a class with you. Then the ball is in their court."Do I act like an ass to this guy because he's not black like me?" If the answer is yes, smile, apologize for the intrusion, then write him off. At least you made him consider being human for a moment.

8. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Just a warning, you will probably get asked if you are crazy every now and then. Laugh at this, as well as any other insults they toss your way. You are the one who will have untroubled sleep.

9. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

No I wouldn't say that's racist per se. The guy from Somalia is right that is the quote "nigger" attitude. It's mostly a ghetto mentality. When I went to community college I noticed it a lot as well especially among black and Mexican working class students. Nothing you do ever makes them happy because most people like that are to busy complaining about how and why life sucks instead of doing anything to change it. They unfortunately pass it on to their children. Its a never ending cycle until someone decides to change it. There's nothing you can do about it. I just let rude people be rude and try not to go out of your way to be kind to them, they won't appreciate your effort anyway. Seeing as your at a community college there really isn't much you can do to avoid them, but if you decide to transfer to a 4 year university or college you'll find that the black students tend to act like reasonable human beings instead of asses, even the one's from the ghetto because they are the one's most likely trying to end the self-defeating cycle. Don't worry most black people hate people like that too. And even within the community they are referred to as "niggers" and not in a good way either.

10. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Keep reminding yourself that they are all individuals, and remind yourself that the Somalian guy you know is also black.
    They are obviously not ALL like that, just as there are obviously people who are not black who act this way.

11. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

So you think that it is probably more so because it is a community college, and that once I am out of there, this phenomenon will cease?

12. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

I do this. I often get laughed at a little for my corny over friendliness. But I don't care. Shows that I am a bigger person.

13. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Good for you.

14. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

It depends on where you spend your time. Certain places attract certain types of people. I hate going to a fast food restaurant by my parents' house because most people in the area are Mexican and when they call your number they call it out in Spanish. I don't speak fluent Spanish and its way too much of a hassle to listen for my number en espanol. So I go to the restaurant on the other side of town if I'm not in the mood to hear Spanish. There will always be ghetto people, but as far as schooling goes most of them don't go to 4-year colleges and if they do they usually leave most of their attitude back home.

15. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Depending on where you live once you leave, certainly.

16. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

If the guy was straight from Somalia chances are he may not consider himself black. Africans don't like to be associated with black Americans, just like a lot Europeans I met don't like to be associated with white Americans. At least that's how they felt when I competed at the world championships in Wind Ensemble.

17. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

I'd rather see them snap out of their attitudes and get an education and become something. But its like they say, acceptance is the answer to all my problems 'eh...

18. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

I actually didn't know that about europeans!

19. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

I do notice what you notice but that's why I especially like black people.
    Negroes place a higher priority on fun than most other people, as do aborigines and polynesians, some whites lean in their direction, other whites, and all varieties of asian (oriental and indian and arabs) are just squares and take life too seriously.
    As a result asians and many whites excell academically, but are boring soulless nerds, meanwhile blacks and some whites excell in arts, sports, music and general awesomeness, but are unfortunately prone to appearing shirtless on cops.
    It's just the way it is, there's a little "ometer" inside all of us with the needle pointed somewhere between "crackhead with mad swagger" and "uptight dull successfull nerd".
    It's more often geared to the left on black people, more often geared to the right on asians, and it fluctuates in the middle regions with white people. It sounds like you lean to the right, and so you find black people annoying.
    I find them delightfully entertaining, and I just can't relate to asians or square whites "annoyed because they can't hear the lecturer" or whatever. Who wants to listen to a lecturer? I mean when you could talk about hoops or big bouncing ghetto booty? It just doesn't make sense to me.

20. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Me too. Or they can keep the attitude, but should still get an education. Fortunately it seems to be slowly changing for the black community. Education is important to a lot of parents nowadays. Which is a good thing, which is why there are more black students in college (who aren't playing sports) than ever before.

21. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Somehow I knew it would be good when I saw the the doc posted something here. But you see good doc, I've been there done all that. I've smoked weed, crack, meth opium, I've shroomed dropped and partied, fucked, fought, drank and laughed. But I got tired of that life and decided I wanted to actually be a usefull productive member of society some day and not sit and be a wasteful turd who milks hardworking taxpayers money like you or your unevolved nigger friends! So go have some fun with a plastic bag in the middle of the street!

22. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Wow. How do you really feel?

23. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Today? Exhausted. Lots of school on only little sleep.