Universities

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by lucifers angel, Aug 29, 2008.

1. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

Can anyone tell me if this is right.

My son is wanting to go to university after his college is finished with, but my daughters teacher told her that to get into a universitie now you have to learn a language aswell, now to me that doesnt sound fair or right, for example what if your studieing physics should it be ok to have the burden of the physics and also the maths that go with it.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

None of the kids I know that start uni this year speak another language.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i only speak english

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

but what university are you talking about LA. you should be able to look on the website of the uni to see there entry requirements

also if the UK has a goverment entry scheam like SATAC they should show on there website ALL the entry requirements for the courses they recruit for

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

Some Universities requires TOEFL or IELTS certificate, but as far as I concern,
    it is only for international students whom their mother tongue aren't English.

The teacher of your daughter perhaps talking about specific University.
    For your son, you/he needs to check to the University that he wishes to apply.
    Normally you can also check it online. Go to the University website and find
    the admission requirement there. If it is not stated and you would like to be
    sure, you can send email to the contact person responsible for the admission.

8. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Depends on where he's going for university. I know here in Germany you have to know German, English and have at least 1 year of classes of a third language (usually French). In Canada you just need to know English (obviously).

The university he's interested in should have admission requirements up on their website.

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

interesting concidering canada is bilingual

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I always thought that Physics was a foreign language!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Yeah I thought it was strange too. But the bilingual status is really just to keep the Quebecers happy. Everyone gets about 2 semesters of French in junior high, after that it's an optional course. No university I looked into required anything other than English, but most offered French immersion programs for students who only speak French. But it could depend a little on the program you're taking, I'm sure medicine requires that you learn Latin for instance.

12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

did you know most cooking schools in australia required you to learn french?

now they just teach you the terms you need to know, im sure the same goes for med (especially as med is a post grad and requires no latin at flinders from what i have seen anyway)

13. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

we dont know what universitie he will apply for yet he has 3 years of college to do yet, but i was just confused that my daughters french teacher said that he would need a langauge aswell

14. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Is your whole family like "ooh, la di da, university huh? Well well, hoity toity, would you like a napkin your majesty? lololol" at the dinner table, and then do you beat him and lock him in a pantry for days on end while he weeps and fantasises about being adopted? Even though he was in fact simply stolen out of a shopping cart at the grocery store when he was 9 months old?

15. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

as i said if there is something like SATAC you should check with them. the tertiary entry guides tell you the entry guidelines for every HECS course at every HECS aproved uni and all the state owned tafe's

16. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

17. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

um steve, she is in the UK. whats the point of posting for US universities???

18. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

get out of my thread if you have nothing of any use to say!

what is it with you anyway? why dont you grow up and dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!

19. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

That is for the UK.
    What made you think otherwise?

20. CharonZ Registered Senior Member

This is not quite right, you only require this if you went to school in Germany and want to get your Abitur (and even then you do not need to have them all the way through, but it might change/has changed for English). If you are a foreigner you can enroll in Universities that have international (=English) programs.

21. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Well in Alberta(in the 90s - dating myself there), we needed at least one language for at least 3 years in highschool(which was 3 years in Alberta). It has probably changed since then. They no longer offer an Advanced Diploma in Highschool and that was a requirement for that. Most universities wanted 3 years in either French or German.

22. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

I need to be fluent in a foreign language to graduate highschool.

23. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

steve the .com insted of .com.uk