For argument's sake...

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Mike Honcho, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Mike Honcho Shut up and calculate Registered Senior Member

In perusing the various posts and in my enlightening debates with various Obsessive/Compulsive Physics students, I've noticed an interesting dynamic.

We don't want to know the truth. We just want to be right.

Furthermore, I've witnessed masterdebaters argue circles around a point knowing damn well that the said point is perfectly valid.

So, instead of going off and learning all kinds of useless knowledge and facts and what not, lets hone our bullshit skills.

Here are the rules:

I'll post a topic that is (allegedly) general knowledge and beyond debate.
    You , naturally, argue that topic as scathingly and sarcastically as humanly possible. Think out your reasoning.
    Points will be deducted for making too much sense.

Ok. First topic:

Water is Wet.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Vkothii Banned Banned

Pedantic observation: water is a liquid. A lot of other liquids can behave like water - things like tissue or filter paper soak them up by capillary action if you hold the end of some "wettable" substance like made out of cellulose fibers, the other end will get "wet" if you place it in any of these liquids.
    "Wet" is therefore, when used adjectivally, something water and similar liquids has done to a wettable surface.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

How can you possibly prove that watwr is wet?
    We can't touch water - our fields simply interract with the fields around water.
    Besides, what is "wet" anyway?
    Isn't everything made of the same basic fundamental parts?
    "Wetness" is nothing more than a subjective judgement based on personal experience of our fallible senses.
    It is most certainly not a scientific property which can be quantitatively measured by any objective intrumentation.
    It's no different than "light" being nothing more than electromagnetic waves being picked up by the sensors in our eyes which are attuned to specific EM ranges as a matter of convenience and survival in this world.
    We only experience it the way we do, because our bodies have evolved to react to these frequencies.

We experience water as "wet" because we have evolved a sense of touch that reacts to the different material frequencies in different ways and we simply have the ability to discern differneces and give those differences a name out of convient common references.

Water is not wet any more than Oxygen and Hydrogen are wet - it s just our particular way of reacting to the fields of that particular arragement of Oxygen and Hydrogen.

Owned!

8. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Is sand "wet"?
    It flows in the same way water does - it just has larger particles.

9. Mike Honcho Shut up and calculate Registered Senior Member

Very good- but you guys make WAY too strong of an argument.
    I am literally convinced now that not only is water not wet, but that nothing can be wet.
    There goes my sex life.
    lets get a little less coherent....

10. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

If water is wet and we are 90% water, why aren't we wet?
    If water is wet, why does it roll off duck's backs?

11. Mike Honcho Shut up and calculate Registered Senior Member

That is where you are WRONG!!!! You pimple.

No water isn't not wet.

Why such a negative attitude? You hiding something? LIAR!!!!!

I say, What is it. I say, What is it.
    None of it isn't not wet thats what is it.

That's a contraction. How can a woman have a contraction. If it's never been wet?
    But if you want me to think that its wet, then really water must be dry.
    What are you hiding? LIAR!!!!!!!!!!

Note to Mod:
    I request Shorty be immediately banned for abusive behavior