Power supply problem

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Syzygys, Aug 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Before I went away for the weekend, I turned the computers off. When I came back, the older one didn't start. OK, I figured that it must be a power supply problem, so I switched the 2 power supplies, since the 2 computers are the same brand with a year difference. The supplies were the same brand too.

Now the older one with the problem tried to start, but the On light instead of lighting up nicely, flickers and the HD light is also on, but Windows doesn't start.

So I check the wattage, and the old (dead) one is 250W and the newer computer's is 300W. Question is:

1. Since the supplies otherwise are the same brand, shouldn't a bigger wattage supply work in a smaller wattage computer?

2. Once I order the correct power supply, there is still a chance that something else is still wrong with the computer? (I hope not)

Edit: I just looked it up and I can only order the 300W supply, but it didn't seem to work correctly, so I would be happier with a 250W...Apparently, they are not making the 250 W, so it indicates that:
    a/ the older computer has some other problem too
    b/ the newer, replacement power supplies must have a different wiring...

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Power supplies are built to be completely interchangeable. Generally they all use the same ATX form factor and should work in any computer. The only difference sometimes is the connectors, some older ones may not have the 4 pin 12V connector for the CPU for example. Installing a higher watt power supply shouldn't make any difference either.

Is the wall socket still delivering steady power? Is there a surge protector between the computer and wall socket? Could be that a jolt of power fried something inside, from a lightning strike maybe.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Yes. Also I moved the computer to the other room when i was tinkering with them.

There was. I don't thin there was a storm over the weekend, but let's keep it a possibility.

Well, I ordered the new, 300W PS and I am crossing my fingers that it will work. Nothing else I can do at this point...

I was able to hook up the old HD to the newer computer and access data, so the HD itself is OK...

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Mobo is fried.

8. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too. Power supply gave up on life and took the MB down with it

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Well, as long as the data from the HD is usable, the computer has served its time, I think 5-6 years. It was a low priced Emachine. I am actually surprised it didn't get a serious virus while the kid had been using it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.