Fortune tellers

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by MR ???, Aug 24, 2008.

1. MR ??? Registered Member

Are there people who say they can tell the future really know what the futures holds for people. There are horiscopes in magazines so why do people pay people to write horiscopes if many people ingore them or say they are rubbish. Some fortune tellers must come true if they are paying them money every week or are they thinking people will beleive anything.

Are these fortunes tellers have special abiltes or do they talk rubbish and get away with doing this ???

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Fortune tellers do not have special abilities except for the ability to be convincing to gullible people.
    And they make a living because large numbers of people would rather be fooled, hearing something they want to hear than live without the "comfort".
    And unfortunately too many people do believe anything.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mike Honcho Shut up and calculate Registered Senior Member

Fortune tellers read people not minds.
    This follows under my Honchoism number 3:
    People will always believe a happy lie over a poopie truth. Always.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

if fortune tellers read people and not minds, then why is it that, one day i was in town with my husband and my kids, and this little old gypsy woman came up to us, and took my hand and said, you have been very ill lately but you're getting better and also you will be moving house within the next 4 months, also your family life will be difficult, and she was right on all three accounts, i had cancer but was recovering and we even moved house in the september, and yes my family life was difficult

so how could she know all that, we didnt know we were going to move house and we even kept my illness a secret and we didnt even disscuss our family life in town we allways did it in private

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

In the United States, a variety of local and state laws restrict fortune-telling, require the licensing or bonding of fortune-tellers, or make necessary the use of terminology that avoids the term "fortune-teller" in favour of terms such as "spiritual advisor" or "psychic consultant." There are also laws that forbid the practice ouright in certain districts.

For instance, fortune telling is a class B misdemeanor in the state of New York. Under New York State law, S 165.35:

A person is guilty of fortune telling when, for a fee or compensation which he directly or indirectly solicits or receives, he claims or pretends to tell fortunes, or holds himself out as being able, by claimed or pretended use of occult powers, to answer questions or give advice on personal matters or to exorcise, influence or affect evil spirits or curses; except that this section does not apply to a person who engages in the aforedescribed conduct as part of a show or exhibition solely for the purpose of entertainment or amusement. However one should use his intelligence and wisdom while visiting fortune tellers.

By mentioning that "one should use his intelligence and wisdom while visiting fortune tellers," the law-makers who wrote this statute acknowledged that fortune-tellers do not restrict themselves to "a show or exhibition solely for the purpose of entertainment or amusement" and that people will continue to seek out fortune-tellers even though fortune-tellers operate in violation of the law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortune-telling

9. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

One question springs to mind: how many OTHER people had she used that line on in, say, the last week.
    If I walk up to sufficient people and say "Today is your birthday and your boyfriend will dump you" what are my chance of getting it right in, say, 50 random attempts?
    Only takes ONE person to fit that description and they'll be convinced I'm a fortune teller...

Edit:
    alternatively -

You have been very ill lately: Hey I DID have really bad flu.
    Your family life will be difficult; Whose isn't at one point or another?
    You will be moving house: yup, throw in something random, if it turns out to be the case (within four months or not) it's a clincher, if it doesn't, well 2 out 3 is good going.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

The aim of horoscopes in magazines and newspapers is to sell more magazines and newspapers. If a newspaper editor thinks that there are lots of gullible people out there who believe in astrology, then horoscopes will be likely to be included in the newspaper and somebody will be employed to write them.

Interesting, often the people who write the horoscopes for newspapers and magazines do not claim that they have any ability in astrology, or any mystical powers. They are just jobbing journalists or writers making a buck. How do they do the horoscopes, then? Answer: they just make them up. They have nothing to do with the motions of the planets or what constellation the sun happens to be in.

Basically, they tell people what they want to hear. How many times have you read a newspaper horoscope that said "All capricorns will get sick next week" or "You're about to lose a large amount of money"?

11. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I am absolutely certain, from personal experience, that it is possible for some people to be aware of some events in the future or at distance.

That said, I have no idea if it is possible for people to "harness" that ability, but most people who make a living as "fortune tellers" are charlatans.

12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I've been aware of events happening in Beijing, half a world away from where I live. But that doesn't require psychic powers.

Also, I can predict that either Barack Obama or John McCain will become President of the USA next January. That doesn't require psychic power, either.

13. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

One day, a few years back, I left work early.
    It was about 3AM and I was driving home pretty fast, because the highway was empty and I wanted to get home.
    Suddenly I had this... I hesitate to use the word "vision" because of all the baggage it carries...
    Anyway it was as vivid as it was really happening.
    A tractor trailer lost control in front of me and overturned.
    It landed with the bottom of the truck facing me, and blocking three lanes of traffic.
    I actually heard the sound of the crash.
    I was directly behind it, and, like I said, it was blocking three lanes of traffic, so I could not swerve to avoid it.
    Just as I was about to crash into the truck, I came out of it.

I was very shaken by this.
    I had never experienced anything like it before.
    It was so much more than a daydream.
    I slowed down quite a bit and called my girlfriend at the time, who was at home.
    As I was telling her about what happened, I came across a truck lying on its side, blocking three lanes of traffic in front of me in the exact same position I "saw" not five minutes before.
    It had to have just happened, because there were no other cars there, the driver was standing outside his truck dazed and confused and the police hadn't arrived yet.

Remember, I saw the truck after I told my girlfriend what I had experienced, so it wasn't a dream, figment of my imagination or a deluded memory.

That was one scanario.

I got a phone call from my mother one day - my future wife was sitting next to me.
    She told me she had a dream of me being in a little shop full of weird clothing in a small, old town.
    I was trying on a fancy, old-fashioned jacket, and looking in a mirror.
    The day before I was in New Hope Pennsylvania (a small, old fashioned town) in a store that sold antique clothing, trying on a jacket while Halloween shopping.

My mother has often had very vivid dreams that were correct about things that were happening, which she could have had no knowledge of.

If you want to believe I am a liar, that's not only your right, but there is nothing I can do about it - furthermore it makes this discussion entirely pointless.
    Fact is, though, I know from first-hand experience that these things are possible.

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I wouldn't accuse you of lying, but the mind is a funny thing and can play tricks on you after the fact.

It is impossible to check now, but I wonder exactly when you phoned your girlfriend about the truck crash. Was it before you got to the crash site, or after? I'm sure you're convinced it was before. I'm not so convinced. And my first guess is that your memory of that night became confused after the event, so now you distinctly remember your "premonition".

As for your mother, how often has she told you about dreams that have had NO obvious connection to anything real? If your mother has lots of very vivid dreams, as you say, then she's probably telling you about them all the time. But, chances are good that you remember her telling you ONLY about the ones that "come true" or seem to relate to something real. You don't pay attention to all the times her dreams are wrong or have no discernable connection to reality. You just forget those dreams. This may be why the few dreams that DO seem to connect seem spooky and unexplainable.

Also, bear in mind that if your mother happens to dream about YOU, she's more likely to phone you than to phone somebody else. When she has dreams about somebody else, she probably phones them. So, you only get dreams involving you, and I'm guessing she has quite a good idea of what your life is like, where you go, what you do, etc.

Also, you will remember all details of a dream that seems to "match" your life, and disregard all elements of the same dream that seem "wrong". You're surprised by matches, but not surprised by inaccuracies and things that don't match. You remember the "hits" and forget the "misses".

15. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I completely agree.

I was telling her about it in detail when I came upon the truck.
    She was on the phone with me when I said said, "Holy shit, you are not going to believe what I am seeing right now".
    If I hadn't spoken to her before I saw the truck, I would have questioned myself as well.

Sometimes she does tell me about other dreams.
    Every dream she has told me about me, my brother or my nephew rung true, however.
    All of them.

No, actually.
    She had never even heard of New Hope, and I hadn't seen her in a few weeks.
    There was no way she could have known what I was doing.

I can understand that and I agree.
    However, some details are just too uncanny to be simple coincidence.

16. Mike Honcho Shut up and calculate Registered Senior Member

Raven I have to agree.
    I've had dreams that have literally occured the very next day.
    Not symbolically, but verbatim.
    No control of it but their is no doubt it has happened.
    Anyone who has not personally done this could believe it so don't try.

On another note, I am Romnichal by ethnicity. Thats an English Gypsy (although more of us actually live here in America).
    My wife told fortunes from a booth on the main drag in Wisconsin Dells when I met her. Her family is Bonajee or european gypsy.

As a Christian, I never approved of the trade as it often involves telling of "work" involving prayer or angels and other iffy spiritual type stuff.

Anyway, I promise: The real Gypsy Fortune Tellers read people, not minds.

17. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i didnt think of it like that thanks Oli!