Question about switching from 32 bit to 64 bit.

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by cosmictraveler, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I have a AMD 64 bit processor but only have Windows XP Professional 32 bit right now. Can I download any 64 bit Win XP program or isn't that available? I'd like to utilize my 64 bit processor if possible with Win XP if there's any way to do so. Or must I get Vista (I really don't want to) to make my 64 bit processor work? Any suggestions would be grateful. Thanks in advance to anyone that answers.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Vern Registered Senior Member

Im using Windows XP on a 64 bit intell duel core processor. It works fine. I have also installed 32 bit Linux on it and it worked Ok. Then I installed a 64 bit Linux, and it works Ok also.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John99 Banned Banned

yes.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

To take full advantage of a 64 bit processor, you must use a 64 bit OS. You've a choice of Linux, or Windows XP Pro 64, or a version of Vista 64. At $139.00, XP 64 might be the way to go, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116378 .

Like it or not though, Vista is the future. I'm sticking with XP 32 bit for the indefinite future; I don't see any reason to go to either Vista or a 64 bit OS at this time.

8. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Cosmic - depending on your hardware - skip the "upgrade" to Vista. The Vista "upgrade" from xp is really bad. It is best installed on a new PC, then it works pretty good.

You need a newer video card and 4Gig ram to really make it worth your while. Not much is coded for 64 bit, mostly the payoff is in being able to use more than 3.2 GIG of Ram.

You can easily wait till you ever need a new computer. You are hardly missing anything in your CPU not being used for 64bit processing.

9. John99 Banned Banned

I think, could be wrong, he would still be better of using Vista64.

10. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

oh and do NOT go with xp 64bit - hardly any drivers written for that.

11. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Cosmic, once you want to use more than four gigabytes of RAM, you'll be forced to move on from XP 32 bit. Until then, you might as well sit tight. But if you must get a 64 bit OS now, I think the pros and cons have been covered pretty well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.