What is romance?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by joepistole, Aug 21, 2008.

1. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Much has been written about romance. Libraries are full of romance novels. But what is romance? Is it something between men and women? Can one have a romance with life itself? Is romance dead? So my question, what is romance?

I happen to think it is a way of life...a way of living life. I think it is more than just a state of a relationship between a man and a woman. Am I wrong?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Yes, romance is dead, along with morality, culture, tradition, and generally any sort of respect society used to have.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Carcano Valued Senior Member

When beauty dies...so too will romance.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I have to agree with you there. I think what you read or see in movies is a fantasy that very few ppl actually live.

8. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

Romance is like Romeo and Julliet and the like. It happens only to beautiful
    people in which they are the center of attention and all others just supporting
    figures. Also, romance exist because a lot of social barrier. Nowadays everybody
    are beautiful and competition is too strong and everyone can be with anyone
    they like (the barrier is dead) and hence, nothing special with beauty or obstacle
    anymore, and so romance is dead.

9. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I think it is a sad day when romance dies...or if it has already died. But I think there is profound truth is what Carcano has said.

10. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Do we make sacrafices in our lives that inhibit romance? Has romance been scraficed on the alter of materialism?

11. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I am not a reader of romance novels. Hell will freeze over before you find me reading a romance novel.

But I think there is some value to romance. I think it is a way of looking at life...a way of appreciating beauty. And I think too often we get lost in the fast past of our lives and then we fail to see the beauty in our mates and in our lives. And if we do not see it, we do not express it and we do not appreciate it.

How much poorer are we if we fail to see the romance, the beauty in our lives?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  12. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

I hate the modern bastardisation of romance.
    A sleazy man tricking an idiot woman into fucking him with flowers isn't romantic, there's so much more required. Also a sexual relationship between people isn't required, that's but one direction a romantic sequence of events could unfurl, out of an infinite number of directions.
    A man with a knife can have a romantic adventure in the wilderness fighting a bear, even if he never gets a boner during the ordeal. The olympics has had romantic moments.
    Romance is poetically significant moments in life.
    "Chad lit some candles at the flat and then dicked me both styles- doggy and normal" would be a shit meaningless poem, therefore it doesn't qualify as romance.

I'm quite fond of real romance, but I would never describe myself as a romantic, ignorant ladies might assume I'm going to put rose petals on the back seat of the car before I bang them or something, and that would be annoying.
    If I was really feeling romantic I might bludgeon them unconscious with a rock and then sink my car in the river with them in the trunk while nick cave blares from the stereo. That would tick more of the required romance boxes.

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.. bit corny, but appropriate here

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I always thought romance was seeing the beauty in "common" things..

15. Carcano Valued Senior Member

This is a familiar refrain in the spiritual traditions of the inscrutable east.

Heres a clip of Dr. David Hawkins talking about how enlightenment brings a wondrous new perception of 'common' things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa__IDGy2mM

16. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I think that is a good way of describing it.

17. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Do women and men have different perspectives on Romance? This seems to be a mostly male discussion.

18. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

HAHA A+

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I think women expect romance without doing anything romantic for their men. And bitching at the guy that "you don't do anything romantic anymore" kinda kills it. My husband asks if I want to go for a drive and I notice there is a shovel in the back of the truck, I'm thrilled. We are going plant hunting for my flower garden.
    I then throw a blanket in the truck. :shake: My romantic gesture.

20. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Maybe someday he will put that shovel to better use.....:scratchin:

21. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Shovel? Truck?

MURDER

Lol but really, romance is about willpower and gesture

22. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

:shh:

23. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Its A LOT about gesture. Its about arriving home with a fistful of wildflowers and saying "I saw these flowers and smiled. So I had to pull over and get them for you, because you make me smile too"

Or a call from work and he says "I had to call. I saw a blue jay fly by my window and it reminded of how beautiful your blue eyes are"

Romance is personal, not generic.

The most most romantic thing I EVER heard was:
    An old hotel was being demolished. A man found out and contacted the demo crew. His wife came home and they had a new bedroom door with numbers on it. Her husband had bought the door off the room they spent their honeymoon in.
    :bawl: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwww