Will the apple pull the planet if the planet is an infinite distance from the apple?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Betrayer0fHope, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

Well, will it? My instincts say no, it won't. But I don't know why it wouldn't. Can anyone point me to (or tell me) the right answer?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

No.
    But that wont matter as it will never happen.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I have always thought of inifinty as nothing more than a theoretical, mathematical construct with no real counterpart or application in reality.

Other then the arguable possibility of the universe being infinite, I can't think of anything that is infinite.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

How could the universe be infinite? Any fraction of infinity is infinity, so any fraction in an infinitely big universe would also be infinity although it is clearly not.

8. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

Nevermind, it was explained to me.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  9. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

I guess that there has to be a infinitly small also. If there is a infinitly big then we are infinintly small in comparison right?

How can something be infinitly small lol, but perhaps we are at some average infinity between infinitly small and infinitly big.

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Wouldn't it all depend upon the size of the apple?

11. Vkothii Banned Banned

Gravity has an infinite range. But if two bodies are separated by an infinite distance, there is no possibility of them interacting.

The further apart two bodies are, the greater the potential except for the inverse-square relation. So at greater distances than the radius of say, the larger mass, it's asymptotic. It is at the other end too, when you get closer, as if space has an inverse-square curvature in it, but the interaction geometry changes inside the radius (below the surface).

At much larger distances it takes longer for gravitational potential (force) to accelerate a body towards it; at infinity the force is zero and the remote body is beyond any future light cone.