Suicide: A bad thing?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Betrayer0fHope, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I don't think it's wrong or bad, but that you shouldn't commit it unless you're absolutely certain there's nothing else. For instance, killing yourself over being in debt is absurd to me; it's money, it's paper, and it's a very solvable problem that doesn't require you to take your life.

And also, committing suicide is fine (if for a seriously justifiable reason); but somehow getting others involved isn't.

For instance, jumping in front a moving vehicle to kill yourself. You now have affected a random person that otherwise shouldn't have anything to do with you.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

Oh ignore Hamtastic - they're going through a difficult phase.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

I have to profess mixed feelings about this. On the one hand-whatever one believes about the afterlife or lack thereof-it is a profound change in existence. If what one is looking for is such a profound change, and pne can accomplish this change without ill effect to others, perhaps suicide is acceptable. If it affects someone else or there is another option then Suicide is not acceptable.

8. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

To a state of non-existence.

Clearly, it will have profound and lasting effects to everyone associated with that individual. I'm reminded of the classic story of George Bailey, who wished he never existed, and got his wish, temporarily, to see the world as it would have been without him.

9. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

George Bailey was a silly man, the picture of his effect was overstated. A classic story but certainly no relevance to reality.

10. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

You think not?

The story is more centered on what are portrayed as small acts of selflessness and generosity, sort of like the butterfly effect, blossoming into life changing events for many people of Bedford Falls.

Isn't that how compassion flourishes and grows in society, small, random acts of kindness?

11. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

:sigh: Generally, no. This is purely experiential, but mostly, when performing an act of kindness, it becomes an expected "right".