What is the point of life?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Mr. Hamtastic, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

I'm talking in general. What is it one is supposed to accomplish? Is it to reproduce, rear children that can be productive members of society, and die? Is it to learn as much as possible? If life has no point, then why live?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

For yourself.
    Just swing with the flow, blow up something, or do something great, and then go out with a bang, maybe make a difference along the way ?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

If you do not or can notenjoy life, why do it?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DanceAndExplode Fear me, for I am Death. Registered Senior Member

i think life definately has a point, you just have to figure your own purpose out for yourself. I think different people have different purposes.

are you ok? all this talk about death and stuff...?

8. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

I am fine. I just see no point to life. I am not legally allowed to end it, and no one will do it for me. I am just asking for alternate points of view that I might attempt. I've been Bipolar for almost 20 years, and with no cure in sight, I have to hope there is another reason. The highs are kind of nice, but the lows are abject hell. Maybe I'm just overtired. I dunno.

9. DanceAndExplode Fear me, for I am Death. Registered Senior Member

Maybe you just need to try to re-evaluate your life, take a step back and figure out whats really important to you. Focus on the positives and you will get through it. If you try to surround yourself with positives it'll rub off onto you. I know you've probably already tried that if you've been bipolar for 20 years, but im just trying to offer my POV, and experience.

10. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Imagine silk. Now imagine feeling it andit seeming to be sandpaper. It's hard to surround your life with positives when you are prone to view them in a negative fashion.

11. John99 Banned Banned

Make the point be to live to 100.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I dont know what point you are looking for or why there has to be one. I do think that looking for a point will lead to disappointment.

12. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

There is no point - that's what makes it so beautiful and absurd.

13. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

The problem is, the only way life can actually have an objective "point" is if there is a God, which there is no evidence that there is.

However, we can give meaning and point to our lives subjectively; the point of life is to live.

14. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

More Life.

15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

The point of life is to experience of life.

16. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

Everything has a purpose and reason, forces like gravity that hold the universe in order, earthly elemental forces like wind and fire that keep things moving and changing in cycles. Your eyes, ears, nose, feet, arms etc all have a purpose every part of you does, you just have to see its function to know its purpose.

What function/s does your heart perform?, what function/s do your teeth perform?, now ask the same type of question and apply it to your life as a whole.

It's hard for the creation to explain it's own purpose sometimes, if you want to know what a new invention is for maybe the best person to ask would be the one who came up with the prototype. Talk to god about it, just sit there and talk to yourself and ask things, it's simular to being crazy. pray or meditate with the thoughts or whatever you want to call it. Maybe you have a good intuition and connection with the good side of the force padawan.

peace.

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

There is no point. But you can set goals for yourself..

18. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

A pointless life is not worth living, IMO.

EmptyForceofChi-I have prayed, I have received no answer. I must assume the possibility exists that death is the point of life.

19. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

Sometimes I think of life like going on holiday/vacation or borrowing/renting something. you go for a set amount of time and make the most of it while you can. When you borrow something you later return it, use it while its in your posession then give it back like a Blockbusters DvD, maybe you enjoyed the movie or maybe you didn't.

Just accept things for what they are, and the things you do not know be content with the mystery until you figure it out and solve it.

peace.

20. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

good point. If I don't like the vacation, I go home early. If I don't like the movie, I return it to blockbuster and ask for a credit. I like the analogy.

21. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

Then maybe like watching a different movie you need to look through a different perspective and viewpoint. You can look at an apple countless ways and see it as something different depending on your frame of mind and thought pathways.

Imagine a high rise tower block, through each window in each apartment/flat on each floor on each of the 4 sides of the building. Every outlook and view can see something different, that is like your mind you can look out of a different window if you choose. Each window has a slight or drastic difference to another, you could also use each window to represent a certain aspect of life, problem or place of happiness. You need to be able to be comfortable looking through each window, maybe there are windows of fear and unhappiness that you do not like to look out of. Realise some things we do not have control over so worrying is not wise, if you do have control over them and can make a positive change then worrying will only hinder your positive actions, so again worrying is not wise.

peace.

22. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

I've never been much on worrying. I'm not under any particular stressors, if that is what you are implying. The view from here should be fine, but I find it miserable.

23. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Hammy, perhaps the 'purpose' you seek has already been defined by your religion and perhaps you don't feel as if you're living up to those standards, yes?