unicode inserts

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by glaucon, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Greetings,

I need some help here with inserting Unicode into Word docs.

I've researched this ad nauseum to no avail.

I'm specifically concerned with the mathematical operators range (2200-22FF), although I'm using them in philosophy of mathematics documents.

All I know is the hex code for the symbols I need; I do not know the (and in some cases there is no) Font required (?).

For example: 22A8 (the satisfaction symbol) has no associated font (this straight from Unicode).

I've tried the method of writing the hex code and then 'Alt-X'ing, but get nothing but a box.

Surely there must be some app where one can simply enter the hex unicode and copy/paste into a doc to generate the correct symbol??

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've got all my work done with the exception of entering these damn symbols.

TIA

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I'm not entire sure what you are trying to do however for any symbols I have trouble with (i.e. the £ symbol on a US laptop) I use the Character map of windows.

Just got to your Start button, use your runbox and type: charmap.exe it should load the Character map.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Alas, no such luck Stryder.

I'm quite familiar with the charmap.
    However, as you no doubt know, the charmap is limited to a specific group of fonts. Moreover, the charmap simply copies the 'Alt+####' code for the symbol, and drops it wherever you choose.

My situation is entirely different. The symbol group I'm seeking has no associated fontset. All symbols, regardless of the method used to generate them, are 'native' to any Windows OS, as they're all in there, albeit in Hex. Some of the symbol sets are associated with a fontset, and thus, the charmap. But this is just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak.

All research I've done, mostly via the official Unicode site, indicates that I should be able to simply type in the Hex code, immediately followed by 'Alt+X', and the typed string then changes to the appropriate symbol. Alas, no such luck here..

Weird stuff....

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mapsdnasggeyerg fubar Registered Senior Member

8. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Although that doesn't really solve my problem, thanks maps.

What's more.. I cannot find a d/l for this fontset..

9. mapsdnasggeyerg fubar Registered Senior Member

Another font (I had forgotten about) that has been a part of Windows since Windows 98 is "Lucida Sans Unicode" it also has the Unicode range you are looking for.

I am assuming that you are using Windows.

10. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

http://www.whitsoftdev.com/unicodez/

For US or UK keyboards only you can get this alternative keyboard layout for windows.

Allows the typing of special characters very easily. It's awesome and intuitive. So you want to type ≈ or ñ, you press "alt-gr ~" followed by = or n. Works with all major accented characters, plus has a few hardcoded ones like altgr-m for µ.

Unless you have a better solution, I can't see why you shouldn't be using it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.