We're not as bad off as you might think

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Tiassa, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

And you think some of our neighbors here at Sciforums have stunted senses of humor ....

Yesterday apparently saw author Steven Brust celebrating his daughters' birthday:

A couple of his commenters seem to have missed the joke.

Have faith, neighbors. We're not as bad off here as you might think.

Oh, and, of course, Happy Birthday to Carolyn and Aliera. Er ... belatedly, I guess.

Notes:

Brust, Steven. "Happy Birthday to two Charming Daughters". Words Words Words. August 17, 2008. http://dreamcafe.com/words/2008/08/17/happy-birthday-to-two-charming-daughters/

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

umm tiassa, i dont know if im missing the joke but what country has a legal drinking age OVER 26?

I know because 1982 was the year i was born and i have been legally drinking for 8 years now and legally able to have sex for 10

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SheWolf Registered Member

... :bugeye:
    I don't get this thread

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Neither do I..

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

People here say mods go overboard on trying to protect little ones from sex related talk. Here there is an overprotective man saying he might have to have that talk with his adult daughters. He's joking, kinda. My husband has the same mind-set when it comes to our daughter.

Anyways, if you look at this man, you see that the mods aren't that bad.

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Oh is that what he ment. Sorry my mind isnt really up to subtlety at the moment. I have spent the day pouring over documents on the law and my mind is kind of drained. I dont even know where i am getting half of my stuff anymore

God this subject SUCKS

10. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Something like that

Interestingly, I find my mind drifting back to one of my neighbor's complaints that I write too much. In this case, as we see, brevity is insufficient. How curious.

This is exactly the point. Indeed, Orleander's consideration—

—is accurate. That a man pushing his fifty-third birthday cracks a joke about his daughters growing up is something of a humorous tradition in the States.

But sometimes it helps if people click the links. Or maybe not. It seems that way to me. The unintended effect of the thread so far is that I might turn back to my complaining neighbor and note, "See? This is what happens when I don't write so much."

See, I might analyze the difference between the straight and sarcastic, but especially in the Brustian mode, to actually make the point is an act lacking subtlety. "Mmm, virgins. (drools absently)" probably would have been more appropriate. Nonetheless, I might better have conveyed my meaning if I had included that citation in the topic post.

Obviously, I missed making my point in the topic post by fifteen-hundred words or so. I'll keep that in mind.

Notes:

See topic post for source citation.

11. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

my apologies, as i said i have spent the day reading the consitution, the high court act, the australia act and various speaches from the high court justices and other legals. My mind is slowly dribling out of my ears