Command Prompt: Net Send

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Forceman, Aug 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forceman May the force be with you Registered Senior Member

I'm a little new Prompt interfacing,but I have an adequate amount of knowledge concerning this topic. My focus right now is net send. When I try to execute the command, net send, my Prompt says that sending files is not supported. How would I support it, or what does it exactly mean to night have this function supported. Someone please shed light on this topic.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

What's your operating system?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Forceman May the force be with you Registered Senior Member

Microsoft Xp on one and on other Microsoft 2000.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. phlogistician Banned Banned

'net send' sends messages to other computers, not files.

If you have firewall software on either machine, it may be cut off there. It can be disabled in the local security policy also. It is not included in Windows Vista.

8. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

the standard windows firewall doesnt disable net send, you'd have to turn off the messenger service.

at school we used to fuck around with net send, you can use it to send messages to all pc's in a certain domain. Everyone that has the messenger service turned on, sees the message that you send in what looks like an error box. I kinda forgot how to use it but you can just type net send in the prompt and then it will give the syntax that you have to use.

9. phlogistician Banned Banned

Yeah, when we were refreshing our desktop PC's before Y2K we forgot to disable the messenger service in one build, and lo, some smartasses noticed and started pinging stupid messages around. That soon got fixed, we needed to have it turned on our machines to receive alerts, but could live without 'It's my Birthday!' and other such crap.

10. Gustav Banned Banned

vista uses msg

11. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Share your syntax.

12. Gustav Banned Banned

13. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I was asking the opening poster to show what syntax he used - it may not be correct.

14. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Net send did get abused by spyware and trojan installations, this is one of the main reasons people turn it off although I think it was eventually patched by a windows installation.

So basically there are many reasons why it might not work:
    • Syntax incorrect (one_raven)
    • The computer might have the Message Service turned off (
      s0meguy,phlogistician)
    • The computers firewall might disallow it (If a non-standard windows one. (s0meguy)
    • The network might be running a net send packet filter (This is something I'd do in large networks, as it means if a machine has it turned on it won't receive the send to abuse it)

You'll notice how the list moves through the layers that you would use to Errorcheck or Debug a problem. Moving from "User Input", To "Program Configuration" and right through to "The Network perimeters". I'm just mentioning this because it might aid the OP and of course others online to get a kind of idea how to work out where the problem exists.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.