Why does google display only 1000 results per search?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by pluto2, Aug 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pluto2 Banned Valued Senior Member

Let's say you have a search with 5.42 million results, why does Google display only 1000 results? Would it require more space on their servers to display all the results? What other resources would it require to display all the results?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

umm why would you want it to?

It uses up YOUR resorces, as well as being unmanageable AND the probablitly is that what you want is in the first 1000

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

You would want it to because what you are searching for may not be in the first 1000.

Not a clue why they do it, I didn't even realise they did.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Mercy! If it's not in the first 1k then it's likely not in any of them. In any event, if you don't see what you want in the first page or two, the thing to do is used the "advanced search feature" or "search within these results."

Either way, it will CONSIDERABLY narrow down what you have to look at/through.

(I get the strong feeling that there are two people in this thread that really don't know how to best use the power of Google.)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

Nah, I usually get my result on the first page.
    But it would be gutting if the site you were searching for was 1001st on the list.

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

how many times do you even go through all the results it displays?

10. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Actually, I think it would be a pretty week Google user who's target was THAT far down. I still say that such a person needs to spend a little time learning how to use it. After playing with it for the first month, what I want always show up in the top five or not at all. (Not just everthing is there.)

11. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

Use your detective powers to work it out.

Yes, but such people and queries probably do exist.

12. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Sure - but that's NOT Google's fault.

And the OP is in the line of why does Google do what it does - and the responsibility for that belongs squarely on the user!

)If you're trying to use a knife as a screwdrive and the blade breaks, don't blame it on the knife!!!)

13. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

Of course.
    But it would be nice to help out the idiots.

Maybe after clicking on the 10th page of results it should pop up a tutorial "google for dummies"

14. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

As stated 1000 entire's is a lot of database accesses in itself along with the Caching of pages. Google's "1000" though is more adaptive now than it use to be, some years back most search engines would be using 6 month old caches to work out the rankings, nowadays google's bots tend to keep on top of a sites progress.

Obviously sites that have constant changing content will be spidered more often than those that are "Unmodified", at the end of the day though this is really down on the web developers to work out how to be more Search Engine Optimized (SEO). Of course these methods are constantly being abused by people that create sites that have their own search engines that just return results taken from Google already to attempt to boost their rank (which in turn get's it dropped from the search engines completely)

The 1000 you see is based upon it's content (Frequency of word use, perhaps even a breakdown of language syntax), It's domain name, it's incoming links from other sites that are spidered, whether it pays to advertise or not etc. the first 1000 are suppose to be the "Consensus" of search engine returns, so those lower down the listing are less likely to have the material people require.

15. Nonsense Non doesn't make sense. Registered Senior Member

If you don't find what you are looking for within the first 20 results your query is not polished enough. Google is very sensitive to the slightest word changes. In addition i would wager that majority of people don't use Google maximum potential.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.