The end of the world will be caused by ?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Challenger78, Aug 12, 2008.

?

What will cause the end of the world ?

1. Religion based Thermonuclear War

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. Resource based Thermonuclear war

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. <InsertDiety here> shall smite us all (supernatural)

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Global Warming

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Disease

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. A combination, or other (state which).

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  1. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Well ?

Is it war, disease or god ?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Can a mod edit it to make it multi choice ?, and perhaps delete the last option.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

Why isn't there an option that the world will never end? And by world I mean society, basically.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

All things will come to an end.

If society never ends, then we'll be here for another few billion years until the sun blows us up. Or, failing that, we spread out across the stars, and eventually something will wipe us out.

8. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

How can you be so sure?

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

End of the world or end of humanity ?

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Delete the last option ? What about meteorites, superflares, supervulcano, alien invasion etc ?

11. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

The sun.

What do I win?

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

That's the only correct answer.. but I think he really means humanity rather than Earth itself..

Also, the Earth won't be entirely destroyed by the sun either..

13. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Never; we Humans are invincible.

14. superstring01 Moderator

Human being will, within the next 100 years, engineer things which will outstrip us in intelligence and capabilities. I highly doubt humans will be wise enough to do the same to themselves (as in, re-engineering ourselves to keep apace) and will therefore be dispensed with by said creation.

People are so unbelievably stupid when it comes to this fact and have scarcely the understanding of how inexorably we are on the course with our own demise.

Sad really. But, perhaps it is the nature of all evolutionary life. Maybe that is the way the universe was engineered. It doesn't have to be that way, but I doubt we'll avoid this course.

~String

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yes.

No.

NO.

Agreed.

16. River Ape Valued Senior Member

Not quite, superstring. I think we will not engineer "things" but ourselves.

Most human DNA is "junk". Although we think evolution is a wonderful thing, its products fall far short of what is biologically possible. Deleting the junk, adding new disease resistant genes, making a few useful physiological improvements . . . this should become possible inside the lifetimes of people already born.

Will the new improved apes still be "human"? I think it will be useful if they are designed so that they can only breed with each other to prevent gradual dysgenic deterioration, and to that extent they will be a new species. Sooner or later the old human stock (weaker, more disease prone, less intelligent, less beautiful) will be allowed to die out.

I'd give humans a couple of hundred years -- but there is always the chance that a few will be retained for laboratory use or for zoos.

That will be the end of humans. Some would regard that as "the end of the world."
    Or will it be the ultimate human victory over nature?

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Victory over nature is impossible, and frankly not wise.

Some of the junk coding might have function.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  18. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

It's not impossible; we Humans are the most valuable and most powerful creatures in existence, we will find a way.

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

How ? By popping out of existence ? lol

20. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Death by godly smote, definitely.

21. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Other: Religion.

Although, technically that could qualify as 'Disease'.

22. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i think we will all die because of an action of someone in the bush line

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

but seriously the most likly senario is an astoriod before we can get out of this death trap, global warming with have a death toll directly (through heat stress and vector born disease) and indirectly (through wars for resorces like water and food and reffugess) but i doubt that will end us as a whole

23. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

So you think life is but a spurt of self awareness that appears in the Universe and then something eventually ends that awareness inevitably?

The ability of the Universe to spawn different kinds of life forms shouldn't be underestimated. Somewhere out there in the Universe, there are creatures so old and so well adapted to survival that only living beings of equal ability could end the extistence of such. Forgive me if it sounds a little too "star treky" for you, but first consider the point that the size of the Universe is uncomprehendably large.

Maybe we can put a number on the "size of the (known) Universe," but we sure can't go saying we are the smartest/strongest beings to have ever existed merely because we've never seen with our own eyes, anything greater than our own human intelligences.