5-3-5 Cards. Mentality of U.S. Marines

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Harnu, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Harnu Semper Fidelis Registered Senior Member

Here's an article I just happened upon. A little old but I doubt anyone's posted it up yet.

We Marines carry (Or at least the deploying units I've been with) "5-3-5 Cards". This little article talks about some of the habits of though that these cards have printed on them.

On the Card:

Pre/Post Action
    1. Pre-Combat Checks/Pre-Combat inspections
    2. Rehearsals
    3. Confirmation briefs
    4. After-Actions Report
    5. Debrief

Habits of Action
    1. Guardian Angel
    2. Geometry of Fire
    3. Unity of Command

Habits of Thought
    1. Sturdy Professionalism
    2. Make yourself hard to kill
    3. No Better, No worse enemy
    4 First, Do no Harm
    5 The Iraqi People are not out enemy, but out enemy hides amongst them

Corollary 1 : You have to look at these people as if they are trying to kill you, but you cant treat them that way

Corollary 2 : Be Polite, Be Professional, Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

http://www.michaeltotten.com/archives/2008/01/a-plan-to-kill.php

Just something I wanted to share with you all about our mindset we're trained to have and a little story (Maybe a little bias like the rest of the material on this forum) to go along with it. Enjoy.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Echo3Romeo One man wolfpack Registered Senior Member

I like the part where he tries on the body armor and can barely move under its weight. I'm assuming it was the modular tactical vest and had all the SAPI plates and neck/groin protectors with it. I wish more people realized how godawfully heavy the complete armor system is; how much it prevents movement, makes riding in a vehicle difficult, elevates the risk of heat stroke, and how it can often be better to ditch all but the tactical vest, go plateless, and use the weight savings to carry more magazines or grenades.

And yeah, the 5-3-5 cards are pretty much a standard thing in my experience too. The first time I saw them in that incarnation was in Iraq in '04, but the ethos goes back a lot further. On the wall in the office here there is a joke email taped up with some of the same stuff on it.

For the sake of our collective amusement:

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

E3R, love the Rules, seems very accurate, I remember cursing the issue of
    op-orders because the ROE usually included contradiction's to objective to be achieved, and to much of having to check with Highers to receive clearance to execute.

As for my view on ops, I used:

U.S. Cavalry Rules:

1. Always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.
    2. Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one.
    3. Decide to be aggressive enough, quickly enough.
    4. Have a plan.
    5. Have a back-up plan, because the first one probably won't work.
    6. Have a fall back plan, because the first time you contact highers, the real problems begin.
    7.. Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet. Even your friends.
    8. Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."
    9. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive.
    10. Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (Lateral & diagonal preferred.)
    11. Use cover or concealment as much as possible.
    12. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.
    13. Always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.
    14. In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived.
    15. If you are not shooting, you should be communicating your intention to shoot.
    16. Always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Nonsense Non doesn't make sense. Registered Senior Member

@Echo3Romeo

Haha great list! Especially #3 for the NAVY Seals

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Echo3Romeo One man wolfpack Registered Senior Member

Huh, and here I thought it was some Corps humor put together by a Marine for other jarheads, and a squid who agreed (probably the HM1 FMF Corpsman who was his friend).