OK. Answer these two question

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by John99, Aug 11, 2008.

1. John99 Banned Banned

1. The other night my dog was sleeping on my chest. He had his paws on each side of my head. I watched him breath, i heard him snore. Then he strted to twitch and make some noises with his mouth.

Mt dog was dreaming. His eyelids wer open a little and his eyesballs were moving rapidly. Dont tell me he wasnt dreaming.

What do dogs dream about?

1. Why cant we stop thinking?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

1. Whatever dogs do in life.
    1. We can. It's an interesting sensation.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John99 Banned Banned

They dont do much. I wonder if they dream about:

finding a mate

if they have nightmares

are they even more advanced in their dreams? in their dreams they are no longer hampered by their physical limitations. For example, they cannot talk, they don have hands to better interact with the environment. Perhaps they are closer to human inteligence than we believe.

1. I dont know what you mean by that. You cannot just shut your brain off. If you say meditation, which is what i think you mean, then you are just changing what you are thinking about.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I hear people say that all the time, but it's not true. Of course, it will continue to do things in the backround, but that's not what I call thinking.

8. John99 Banned Banned

Ah, very interest spidergoat. Like when people say: "Let me think back" some people say you cannot think back, you are remembering and you can only think ahead.

Do you believe that thinking ahead or something new is not thinking but different function than remembering. So then thoughts of past experiences are stored and new thoughts are generated. But are they really? is new information already known to us, only we dont know it?

In reference to the second part, take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAo0MJbsC_g

Edit: something a little more obscure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkSaB2Np-O8

Does anyone know the dimensions of a shrimps brain?

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I think there is a different way of being that involves no conscious thought. The brain can do what it needs to do in the backround. It is smarter than we are. Savants can do complex math without "thinking" about it. It's my theory that conscious thought is a relatively recent innovation, it's responsible for most of our problems. Not being able to stop thinking is a modern disfunction.

10. John99 Banned Banned

But i still dont know how you stop thinking.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I will give you a hint, it doesn't involve thinking about it.

12. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

I can stop thinking.
    It is really rare but sometimes it happens when I go to sleep.
    Shortly after, I realise I have stopped thinking all together, and then I have a strange feeling of being pulled down and to the right. Then I enter a dream in and empty black void where I can have a lucid dream.

13. CharonZ Registered Senior Member

I am pretty sure they dogs can have nightmares. One of our pack would sometimes bite around himself with eyes still half closed and only stop when fully awake. Another tends to sleep-howl (though in the latter case I do not know whether whatever he dreamed would qualify as a nightmare). From what I have seen quite a number of dreams also probably involve sniffing things out and running. Due to their different senses I'd imagine that their dreams would be more.... olfactory.
    Shrimps hardly have a brain, more like a collection of fused ganglions.

14. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

What do dogs dream about. Alternate versions of what he experiances during the day or during his life, like us. Probably hunting some cats and mail deliverers.

Why can't we stop thinking.
    Because if we think 'nothing' we still have thought 'nothing', and being aware makes you always reflect on things, which is 'thinking' also.

15. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Sniffing other dogs butts, chasing squirrels, tapping that cute little poodle down the street...I imagine. I wonder if dogs have weird dreams? "I was in front of 100 dalmatians, and I was completely naked, not even wearing a collar...."

16. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

How can you be so sure it was dreaming and not just experiencing myoclonic jerks?

17. oiram Registered Senior Member

1. I had a dog that did the same thing, dreamed at night and even moaned while his eyes rolled around and he even wagged his tail while dead asleep. Maybe he was thinking of the fire hydrant that was recently painted and how he wanted to make his spot…. We will never know…… but I know he enjoyed his dreams
    2. Why can’t we stop thinking, well I can point out a few people on this planet that have done just that…

18. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

It isn't impossible to entirely stop all thought and action, but whenever I do, I always start to think "WOO!! I am thinking of nothing!!" Then I ruin all of my work.

19. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

If you clear your mind ... stuff fills it up.

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

How do you know time has passed when you realized you were not thinking ?

And dogs do dream, cats too. I imagine at least all mammals do.

And John, maybe even trees

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. Tyler Registered Senior Member

My dog definitely dreams. She gets happy and angry and sad in her sleep.

It's hilarious to watch. Even funnier is when she wakes up in the middle of it and has that "where the fuck am I?" look on her face. Pretty much the same one I imagine I do when someone wakes me up in the middle of a dream.

22. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

Dreaming in us seems to be a poring over of new experiences and working with them. Whether we learn from dreams or dreaming is a biproduct of a learning process I am not sure. But if you think of the range of things you dream about it wuold be hard to say for sure what your dog is dreaming about. Sometimes dogs I have had seem to be chasing things. Other times they seem anxious or frustrated. Given that their range of verbs is more limited than ours I would guess the narratives of their dreams are more limited also. Chasing, finding, missing, being picked on by bigger dogs, seeing a cat, that fucking squirrel managed to get up the tree, where is my master and so on.

23. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Again, how can you be so sure?
    Seems like simple speculation to me.
    I'm not even convinced humans dream, nevermind other animals.