who cares about the olympics?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by chris4355, Aug 11, 2008.

1. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

since when do people care so much? is it just me or is everyone around me is making such a big deal about it all of a sudden.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Obviously some people do, otherwise there wouldn't be an olympics.

During the World Cup I am on fire and so are my friends and relatives. However I know people who didn't give a flying fuck.

I personally don't care for the Olympics, but I absolutely explode during the World Cup. So, I understand that there might be people that really like the Olympics.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tyler Registered Senior Member

I love the winter games. Actually, it's kind of cool that I'm in China for '08 and will probably be in Canada for 2010.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Carcano Valued Senior Member

I'm not watching any of it.

So you can run fast...why is that important?

8. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

I'm hoping that Chicago will be the highest bidder for the 2016 olympics.

9. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Personally, I'm about at neutral on the subject as anyone could be. I don't watch any of the events and didn't when some were held less than 10 miles from me.

But I do understand that many people like them and get all worked up over them. And that's no problem as far as I'm concerned, I most likely enjoy things that wouldn't interest a lot of olympic fans.

Live and let live, I say. To each his own.

10. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

oh, im not bashing, just wondering where all the hype came from. we all like different things i understand that.

11. superstring01 Moderator

I do. Greatly. All nationalism aside (which, I will admit is a driving force behind me matching things like, swimming and gymnastics, which I generally have no interest in), some of the events are truly entertaining. It's certainly more interesting than watching some of the lame quasi-staged professional sports which dominate TV these days.

~String

12. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

A quick question, do the olympics come every eight or four years?

13. phoenix2634 Registered Senior Member

Every two years, alternating summer and winter. So you have Summer--2008, Winter--2010, Summer--2012, Winter--2014, Summer--2016, and so on.

14. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Keh ? didn't know that.
    I thought winter olympics just took place a year after the normal one.

Also, I don't care, and I find it repulsive that people place so much value in such tokenistic things.

15. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Me too.
    The following winter.

16. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Winter Olympics are more fun to watch imo.

18. River Ape Valued Senior Member

Wales has won a Gold Medal . . . and I feel so underwhelmed.
    I couldn't help hearing about it, but I am doing my best to escape those loathsomely enthusiastic voices on the radio going on and on and on and on and on and on and on about sport, sport, sport, sport, sport.
    And it's coming to London in 2012!
    I am just so glad I don't live there any more -- but they're spending my bloody money on the damned thing!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Yeah and do we see a return?!? Another useless monument like the Millennium dome no less.

20. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Because it represents the pinnacle of human physical evolution, power, timing, grace, shit like that.

That's like saying "So Pavarotti could sing, Da Vinci could slkap paint around"
    Dumb comment.

I just watched some archery, mindblowing, they stand there, not a quiver( pun intended) of movement them drill an arrow into a ten centimetre bullseye from from seventy metres away, extraordinary.
    Gymnastics, utter control over mind, body and nerves.
    It's all brilliant.
    You're missing out!

Which other bits of life's tapestry do you piss on?

21. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

hate to burst your bubble mate, but all this hype is overrated. The true epitome of humanity lies in our hearts, the largest muscle of the body.
    The ability to forgive for one, to defy logic and reason for that one stupid moment of compassion is what is fascinating. Not drilling an arrow or swimming fast.

22. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

You're absolutely right but you shouldn't be so ready to rob yourself of some poetic moments.

In the teams archery, The Italian team came back to challenge the Koreans right at the last shot.
    The pressure got to the young Italian who put in his worst effort for the entire event then the Korean chap coolly slotted the winning shot. It's not all about the sport.
    The mental element is massive.

23. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I'll take a look at shooting, where the slightest twitch can make you miss.
    But the ads are just tokenistic sometimes, Like the stupid qantas ad. They're only using the olympics.