The science of the soul

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Norsefire, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

How would a soul work? Is it scientifically possible? What would it be? Discuss the science behind the concept of a "soul". Of course this is not confined only to the traditional religious sense, but instead, a broader definition of "soul".

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. bennyjet Banned Banned

s = serpent/snake representing rebirth/reguvenation (shedding of skin)
    O = symbol for Earth or planet
    u = symbol meaning u turn,in this case ,heaven earth heaven
    l = symbol for love

therefore soul means "reguvenate on earth,return to the heavens with love."

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Myles Registered Senior Member

Can you now explain how that works out in other languages ? Try Psyche and Animus for starters !

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I think benny's bus broke down.

8. Myles Registered Senior Member

That's not "fare" !

9. River Ape Valued Senior Member

Were you thinking of having an immortal one?
    Or did you just want one for a lifetime before it was recycled?
    Or a personalised single-use one that passed away with you when you snuffed it?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  10. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

One always runs into trouble when they try to justify religous dogma using the science. I can't speak about other religons, but in Christianity, salvation is earned by faith alone. If one can prove the existence of God, or a soul, then you'd be foolish NOT to be a Christian. This means that the question of salvation is no longer one of faith, but one of logic.

I think that Christians/other religous folk who try to prove God using physics or math or chemistry or biology are just wasting their time. The arguments are never convincing, especially not to the people you're trying to convince.

So depending on what flavor of theist you are, you might be asking the wrong question. Besides, do you really want to justify your faith with science? If this is the case, you should ask yourself if your faith is really that strong.

11. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

12. Myles Registered Senior Member

Note: For Roman Catholics faith alone is insufficient; it must be accompanied by works.

13. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Doesn't the concept of a god who gives people the ability to think rationally (and dumps them into a world where their very survival DEPENDS on their ability to think rationally) but then sends them to hell if they don't believe one, specific irrational thing without proof seem kind of...perverse?

14. EndLightEnd This too shall pass. Registered Senior Member

The science of the soul is essentially the science of consciousness. Let me know when you get that one figured out.

15. Myles Registered Senior Member

Of course it does but in my experience few , if any, religious people ask themselves what their beliefs entail. They buy into the nonsense that they are sinners and in need of redemption. God can do no wrong.

I once asked whether a harvest festival ( thanksgiving) has been cancelled because of a rotten harvest. The priest looked at me sternly and said" it's not for you to question god's ways". That's religion in a nutshell.

16. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Of course; however I am not a theist. I am simply wondering, is it possible that our "consciousness" or "soul" is something not tied to our physical bodies? As in, we have something that transcends material, something that lives on after our bodies die?

17. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

I think so, yeah. Let's not talk about my beliefs, though. I'm sure Norsefire and most of SciForums don't care

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Proof? Does soul = consciousness?

19. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Read the second verse of the Gospel of Thomas (http://users.misericordia.edu//davies/thomas/Trans.htm):

Faith was MEANT to be hard. Otherwise it is worthless.

If you don't question God's will, you're doing it wrong!

20. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Well, there's no way to QUANTIFY it, that I know of. That means there's no way to measure it. Untill we can measure it, we can't test it.

21. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Do you think there is a soul?

22. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

I believe in a soul, yes. But I also accept the fact that this is not a statement which can be substantiated with any evidence. I also accept that my belief in a soul is in no way different from all of the people who think that "The Secret" is legitimate. I still think those people are morons, though

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!