Table tennis

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by domesticated om, Aug 10, 2008.

1. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

This thread is directed at the SciForumers who play table tennis. I need help...

Next month. I plan to start playing regular ping pong matches with my friends - probably once every week or couple of weeks or something.
    I use a chinese penholder grip, and normally use whatever paddles/rackets are available......but it dawned on me - since I have access to the internet, why not buy a really nice one ahead of time. I could bring it with me, and it might possibly improve my game.

About two hours ago, I decided to start googling for paddles, and was overwhelmed by the selection. I had no idea there were so many details I needed to know. I started finding all kinds of esoteric "spin ratings" and "rubber types" and "glues" and so on.

...so can somebody give me a few tips on finding the right paddle?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Omg I haven't played ping pong since I was a kid. My parents still have the table and stuff down in their basement.

Watch BALLS OF FURY for some tips....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

That movie certainly looks funny and entertaining.

Hopefully someone will respond with some information about the paddles.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

shorty did you ever just forget the rules and go "who evers side the ball stops on loses"?

We called it EXSTREME table tennis

8. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Of course, that is the only rule we had...lol I also used to drill them at my brother hoping to hit him.

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I love to play, but I use the wrong grip, so I can't backhand very well, or spin it. Pong as a drinking game is also fun, it requires a completely different playing style, and a high tolerance for alcohol.

10. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The coach of the American olympic team claims to be the only person connected with the team who has ever played beer pong in a basement.

Apparently his expertise is little in demand, and other virtues led to his being chosen coach.

No I can't help you with the paddles. The one least chewed by the dog always worked the best for me.

11. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Here is one example of what I'm talking about:
    http://www.megaspin.net/store/default.asp?pid=y-gat-leader

It has rating listed on it like "Speed: 75, Spin: 75, Control:75"
    I've seen others with ratings on a numerical scale of 1 - 10......but then is gets even MORE convoluted when you consider the fact that a lot of these paddles are sold without rubber (here's a racket for people with deep pockets - http://www.megaspin.net/store/default.asp?pid=b-taksim-s-pl ). SO then you shop around for rubber, and find all kinds of other exotic ratings and so on....

:scratchin: :huh:

Help me Obi-wan