PC to cell phone ?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by scorpius, Aug 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scorpius a realist Valued Senior Member

is it possible to connect computer to the cell phone so I could transfer some different sounds as ring tones?
    phone is
    Samsung m510 using Virgin mobile

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. vslayer Registered Senior Member

should be. they come with a USB cable, so id assume that means the ability to transfer to and from it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Either USB cable, or using something like Bluetooth. If your computer doesn't have bluetooth you can buy Bluetooth USB dongles that will do the trick.
    An added feature of using the USB cable though is some mobile phones can actually have their batteries charged through it, however you will likely need some software from the Manufacturers website (At least this was the case with a Sony/Seimens.)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Yup, looks like it takes a normal mini-USB cable
    http://www.totallycellphones.com/sam5usbdacaw.html

I didn't exactly see "Obex" on the list of supported BT services.
    .....although I did find a random forum that said it was possible. I already closed that tab so I don't have the link.

I didn't find any websites that said it needed to be hacked to enable downloading. My Razr v3m (for example) required a "seem edit" using a program called "P2K". Verizon wants you to pay extra to download files or ringtones. Obviously, doing it yourself from your own computer would be cutting into their business. I don't know if Virgin Mobile is equally as evil.

8. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

There's also a program called "Bitpim" that might work. Allows you to view the file system on the phone, and download/edit/modify/etc.

http://www.bitpim.org/

...but yeah, it doesn't support 100% of all phones on the market. There were numerous Samsung phones listed, but I didn't see the m510

9. scorpius a realist Valued Senior Member

thnx guys,
    I just found out by asking someone in Wallmart electronics dpt of all places,
    that theres a micro card inside this phone that you can plug into the other slightly bigger micro Sd card
    (that came w the phone and I was wondering whats it for,)

and that gets pluged into the comp and that stores whatever is on PC or vice versa.
    now I only have to figure out how to get this card out of the phone without destroying it,and then figure out how the whole proces of transfer gets done.
    is gonna take a long while I think..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

Once you manage to get the card in, all it should take is dragging and dropping on your computer. You shouldn't need a program or anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.