Is Hollywood discriminating ? and hypocritical ?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Cazzo, Aug 8, 2008.

?

Do you think Hollywood is hypocritical when it comes to discrimination ?

1. Yes, Hollywood seems to discriminate against ugly and fat people.

10 vote(s)
    76.9%
  2. No, Hollywood does not discriminate against ugly and fat people.

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. Not sure.

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. Cazzo Registered Senior Member

Hollywood puts out lots of fictitious movies that stereotype "greedy" "right-wing" capitalists corporations, or racist (male) whites that discriminate against minorities. Sometimes these films revolve around this stereotype, some films don't yet slip those stereotypes in here and there.

But what about Hollywood ?
    1. They have few if any films where the lead actors/actresses are ugly. Most lead actors and actresses are always handsome or pretty.
    2. They have few if any films where the lead actors/actresses are fat. Most lead actors and acresses are always trim, average, or nicely built.

So is Hollywood hypocritical in that they like to stereotype American whites (especially in their films about the past) as racist against minorities, yet Hollywood apparently doesn't like to use fat ugly people for it's lead actors/actresses. Or how about midgets ? them too......

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nonsense Non doesn't make sense. Registered Senior Member

Hollywood no doubt discriminates. And at the same time I don't blame them fully for doing it. You bring up the fact that there are few films where the lead actors/actresses are ugly. I ask you then if you want to sit comfortably for 2 hours staring an ugly person? Comedy movies are the best show of these stereotypes (I know that most of them are intentional), but compare them to some non-comedies and you will actually quite a few similarities between the two in relation to stereotypes. I have a feeling that Tropic Thunder when it comes out will be a perfect example of this.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Roman Banned Banned

Hollywood?
    They're just making movies that you'll watch.
    It's the consumer that's discriminating.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Well one person that comes to mind is Jack Black. I don't find him the least bit attractive but I really like him. I think he is hilarious, just the expressions on his face alone cracks me up.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

It's far easier for a plain-looking or downright ugly man to get a job in show biz than a woman. Remember Karl Malden? For that matter, Arnold Schwarzenegger wasn't very good-looking when he was young and overblown with muscles.

Still, in general, the word "attractive" means exactly what it says. People are attracted to attractive people. We're all far more likely to watch a movie, TV show or theatrical production full of handsome men and beautiful women, than one full of people like the ones we see every day.

But there is a double standard and I think you see it most clearly in popular music. Just look at the Rolling Stones! Mick and Keith are butt-ugly! Cheap trick, AC/DC, Ozzy Osbourne, there are some phenomenally bad looking MALE rock stars. Quick, name one female rock star who isn't pretty good looking.

I just saw one a couple of nights ago, Janis Ian. But she's in her fifties, and actually she looks a lot better than when she was young; that happens to some people even without cosmetic surgery. (And she still sings like an angel.) But these younger chanteuses, they all have to look like Shakira, Shania or Sheryl.

9. John99 Banned Banned

Patty Smyth! To me she not bad though.

10. John99 Banned Banned

TBH, i dont watch new movies for that very reason. I cannot look at a movie where everone is drop dead gorgeous and retain any semblance of it being realistic. I am sorry.

11. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I know what your saying. Like when women in the movies are in some horrible accident or stuck out in nowhere for days but still look like they just stepped out of a salon.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Wipe off all their makeup and don't let them wash their hair for a few days then it might be more believable.

Fraggle as far as Arnold goes I never found him attractive. I think he has a good body but his face never appealed to be at all.

It is true though, unattractive men are in the movies a lot more then unattractive women. It really does get boring after a while because it is so unrealistic.

12. John99 Banned Banned

yup. it is ridiculous. So many stories call for an average lloking person and there is a super model playing the part. TBH, if you go back a few decades seemd like many more movies had realistic casting.

13. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Yeah I know. It's like when the person comes out and you are like OHHHH COME ON NOW!!! Ever been to the hospital lately? I have and my best friend works there. I can tell you there are very FEW hot nurses walking around there.

Everyone is hot in the movies don't matter what their occupation, or circumstances. It's another reason I can't stand these so called "Reality" shows. Reality my ass.........put some average joes on the show and maybe I might buy into it a bit more.

14. John99 Banned Banned

That is for sure.

Awhile ago i saw a movie with michelle pfiffer as a single mother and she was dirt poor to boot. i was thinking where the hell would that ever happen.

15. superstring01 Moderator

Hollywood is in the business of selling what people want. For better or worse, most people like to see pretty people. And while there are people who don't mind fat -- or even enjoy fat -- people; for the most part the surest way to get the biggest bang for their buck is to put really attractive people on screen.

They aren't "discrimnating", consumers are.

~String

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

There are lots of unattractive people in movies. LOTS! Not so many fat ones, but lots of ugly ones. It just depends on what you think is ugly. Quentin T isn't handsome but he's rich and popular. Renee Z is an odd looking one, but....
    Talent counts more than looks. Would you rather see a Danny DeVito or a Tara Reid movie?

17. Cazzo Registered Senior Member

This thread's about the actors/actresses that play the LEAD role in a movie. Sure there's lots of less actractive people playing lesser roles in movies.

And how about minorities. White actors like Tom Cruise, Arnold Shwarzenegger, Nicole Kidman, Jonny Depp, Matt Damon, Brad Pitt, Jennifer Aniston, etc.... can make $10,000,000+ per film.
    But how many black actors/actresses get that kind of money ?
    Maybe just Will Smith.....

Hollywood likes to preach in their fictiticious films how racist and discriminating white males are in the U.S. Yet in real life, it's Hollywood that discriminates against ugly people, fat people, midgets, minorities, etc....

18. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

They used midgets in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Johnny Depp (Playing Hunter Thompson) who did a fantastic job by the way. He threw his change at the midget in the restaurant.

Also there is the Midget (don't know his name) who is part of the Jackass Team. lol

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

20. Businesswiz Registered Senior Member

Does the sun rise in the east and set in the west?

21. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

Hollywood is a Demon-Whore-Idol. (of the virus variety) (many big screen films are not always viral)

Violence, discrimination, stereotypings. Alot of comedy films take advantage of the overserious nature many of todays films portray. This is where comedy comes in handy, comedy films have the ability to make alot of laughs out of serious shit.

With the Internet society is getting alot smarter. I watch more youtube than television for sure. With youtube the most amazing things show up, and the most intricate, detailed, educational films. Youtube is a curious advancement in information technology.

Go youtube!

22. lepustimidus Banned Banned

Who wants to watch a movie with fat ugly people? I see enough of them in everyday life, without having them forced on me by Hollywood.