Windows vista not recognizing third hard drive

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Joaquin, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joaquin Sleuth Registered Senior Member

The third non raid hard drive does not get recognized in windows vista, but it does in the boot menu and the bios. I changed the data cable and i still had the same problem. I rang up technical support with the company and the guy said it's probably a faulty hard drive, even though this is a brand new replacement hard drive that came earlier today. He told me to ring tommorow because he just doesnt know. Anyone know how to sort this out?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John99 Banned Banned

Maybe you have to initialize it. I guess you tried that though.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Joaquin Sleuth Registered Senior Member

I've gone to disk management and it didnt automatically find it and it has no 2nd hard drive found so it doesnt show the black bar unallocated space.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Nonsense Non doesn't make sense. Registered Senior Member

Sorry to hear this Joaquin. Only thing I could think of doing is popping that hard drive out and into another computer. Or if you want to jump straight into fixing and presuming you don't have any critical info on the hard drive, go head and reformat it the same way you would be reformatting a drive for a clean install of your OS since the PC is clearly able to recognize it in the BIOS. And to comment on what the technician said about hard drive failures, he is absolutely correct. A new hard drive has an exponentially higher failure rate within the first few months compared to 3 years down the road due to the drive mechanisms.

8. John99 Banned Banned

What controller did you plug it into? I would assume the drive is fine.

9. Joaquin Sleuth Registered Senior Member

They are all in the sata controller. The sata controller and all raid's are enabled. I think the problem may be with raid though as i just changed the data cable with a brand new one and it hasnt changed anything. I dont think it's a faulty hard drive if it's found in the boot menu. It might even be a corrupt windows vista installation on the raid 0 striped hd's which is causing this.

10. John99 Banned Banned

Did you fiddle around in disk management? Right Click?

11. Joaquin Sleuth Registered Senior Member

Yea i did all that stuff and it just doesnt get recognized at all to even initialize.

12. Nonsense Non doesn't make sense. Registered Senior Member

Wait did you say Raid 0?! Oh God!!

13. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

You might need to use the raid utility to set it up.

14. Joaquin Sleuth Registered Senior Member

Just done that and it's still not showing up in windows vista. The funny thing is when i had all three hd's functioning when i got the pc three weeks ago it wouldnt reboot properly and always came up as boot disk failure, but i could manually boot in to vista and they'd all show up. I then reformatted both partitions and reinstalled . Windows vista seemed to work fine until i rebooted the system and it would give me the boot disk failure. I then went through the same options and then i only had one partition found. So i guessed the drive was faulty, but i'm having the same problem now with the new hard drive except for the boot disk failure.

15. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

After setting up the drive in the raid utility, did you go back to Disk Management and try to activate it again?

16. Joaquin Sleuth Registered Senior Member

I forgot that. It's been found now. Thanx for the help guys. You've saved me more phonecalls.

17. Nonsense Non doesn't make sense. Registered Senior Member

Glad to hear it

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Bad ass!! Glad you got it fixed!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. John99 Banned Banned

John99 for the win. See posts 5 and 7...wooohoo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.