New Spam Warning: Real headlines, in realtime

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Stryder, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

This is a warning for a new type of spamming strategy which I just got in my inbox and well thought I should let on what's going on.

I had an Email which appeared to be a CNN.com email news update which might be sent off to an entire Emailing list. Closer inspection provided clue that there was indeed actually rogue links embedded in the email, taking the place of the articles they were suppose to be directed to.

What the spammer had done was taken an RSS feed or Email list feed from CNN, parsed it using a server script to alter the links with their own page (Which incidentally probably also showed a Feed from CNN, maybe even a mock page)
    They then sent it on to people to make it look like a CNN news feed, it perhaps was done to boost their site ratings or manipulate what news people saw.

None the less it might sound an old strategy for misrepresenting links in Emails, the difference is however that the content wasn't randomly generated, it was using stories/headlines that are current at the time it was sent which means it's going to be more difficult to block unless of course it's identified by it's Server address, Sending email address and blocked against that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.