In today's terms, what would a $64,000 question be to you?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by CarpetDiem, Aug 3, 2008.

1. CarpetDiem Burnin' hours, season days Registered Senior Member

The genesis of the $64,000 question was from the 1950s quiz show. Given CPI, over the years, what would be the value of that answer, from life, love, science, plitoics or relgion?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Well, since $64,000 dollars is not as much as it used to be, my question will be lower on my list of want-to-know than you would expect.

Why is it that the majority Moderate Muslims do not openly condemn the extremist muslims who practice suicide bombings and beheadings? I know they disagree with such behavior and abhor it greatly, but they do not speak out to the world about it?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Because they cannot but sympathise on what they percieve is an attack on their religion. They do not agree with the means, but agree with some of the sentiment.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Over 1 million dollars in todays currency in America, at least , perhaps even 2 million.

8. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I'm trying to improve my math skills, so I'll give it a shot.....

A random google search says the average individual's yearly income during the 50s was $2,992.00 If the average income of today (the 06 census) is $26,036.
    This represents an increase of 88.51%
    So $64,000.00 is 11.49% of $556,919.79

So the question is worth around a half mil if I calculated that correctly.......doesn't seem right though. Seems like it should be more :scratchin:

9. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Investing. 64K would be about $15 million today.

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Did you factor in inflation and devaluation of the dollar? I don't think so. If you would have you would get a much different result.

11. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Average inflation is about 3%. So $64K from 1955 will be about 307K in 2008.

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

And what about devaluation of the dollar? That alone will be a big jump. I've seen that it decreased in value by at least 60 percent since the 1960's

13. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

No I didn't. Just figured using the straight difference in percentage for average income. I assumed that would be a valid enough comparison because you'd be able to buy the same things with it......although it fell apart when I compared the cost for a new house (1950s could have bought ~ 4 houses; modern day calculation could maybe buy two). I didn't even know if using average income was the correct basis. Figured someone would come along and correct me if that was the case.

That, and the base income I used may have been incorrect. This site says something different than my first google result
    http://www.fiftiesweb.com/pop/prices-1950.htm