Sociology vs racism

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by BarbieGirl14, Aug 2, 2008.

1. BarbieGirl14 Registered Senior Member

doesnt sociolgy like seem REALLY close to other things like.. sexism... racism... all those ism's that everyone hates so much...

it seems like you have to be very carefull when talking sociology using solid evidence so we dont offend those that we have grouped as similar in society due to hard statistics... whacha think?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

what the fuck are you talking about, sociology is the study of why people do what they do

its used exstensivly in health to explaine for instance why people smoke.

there is nothing sexist or racist about it. you are a moron

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

She's not saying they have anything to do with each other directly (sociology != racism), she's posing the question of whether they are similar as "schools of thought".

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. BarbieGirl14 Registered Senior Member

sorry... i should have used smaller words and more complete thoughts so i dont confuse the.... "special" people in this forum

for example.. i was reading a sociology book... and it was talking about how statistics say that rich people tend to commit souicide more often then lower class people.

also souicide rates are higher in rural areas then metropolitin areas...

this leads me to conclude that people who are less social.. I.E. rich people.. or people who live in rural areas.. they are more apt to commit souicide.. i can understand this completely... a lack of a support system.. feelings unloved.. no1 to fall back on... it makes sense

but is it not byist to say that people who live in the country are more souicidal... thats a generalization... and people often like to argue generalizations by pointing out exceptions... in other words.. "for the special one" it upsets people... generalizations i mean...

do you understand my question now asguard or do i need to clarify it even more??

8. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Lets hope that you are very rich and live in a rural area then...

9. BarbieGirl14 Registered Senior Member

why are you all so mean to me

what did i do so mean to you

why do you guys everyone always wrecks all my threads

10. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

lower class people commit suicide more than richer more affulant people do, for the simple reason the lower class people have to struggle, life isnt a struggle when everything is handed to you on a silver platter

11. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

oh and for the record, i stood up for you in teh grounded thread you made. so we're not all mean just a select few

12. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=83506

You didn't show up for the longest time, and there was peace on sciforums. Then you post a shit thread saying "Bye for a while, I am grounded". Now you're posting more than ever.

Attention whoring liar!

13. DeepThought Banned Banned

It's a good point.

Generally, you won't find sociologists or psychologists actively inquiring into racial or sexual differences because it's against the desires and needs of the free market. Those that do are pilloried and ostracized.

Once upon a time though it was a very different story, when, for example, chattel slavery was in full swing, and everyone was making a mint, trying to find a 'sociologist' then who would have actively pursued ideas of racial equality would have been like trying to find a bacon sandwich at a Barmitzvah.

It's ironic that what we call racism and sexism today is the same thing as sociology and psychology, only the needs of modern capitalism have made them appear separate. So you are right in your comments.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  14. BarbieGirl14 Registered Senior Member

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Oh snap! :worship: That's what she's "fucking talking about" mr moderator.

16. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

I got the issue right off. When is it OK to generalize about a group and when isn't it?

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

what is the difference between generalizing and stereotyping?

18. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

Another good way to word it.
    And then there are all the issues around what seem like facts but after second looks it is not so clear.
    IQ tests are race come to mind. Are they really measuring intelligence? We can lay down a statistic, but does this statistic become racist if it is decidedly misleading?

19. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I don't think there is a difference. Except stereotyping seems to stick where as generalization can be a one time thing. I don't know what I'm talking about.

20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Is generalizing what one person believes and stereotyping is what a bunch of people believe?

21. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

Well generalizing has a more neutral sound to me. I mean 'professional basketball players are tall' is generalizing and not completely accurate, but no one should feel insulted. Stereotyping tends to mean that the comment is negative in some way. No, that is not quite it. You make a positive statement about a group and be stereotyping, but people tend to view even these positive, and certainly the negative, statements as problematic. If you say Asians are smart, well it has implicit less positive implications about other races.

22. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

*no reply*

23. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

It's easier to understand properly presented questions.

Sociology is the study of human social behavior and the way we interact. Sometimes race comes into play, and sometimes it doesn't.
    Generalisations are made in all matters, the question is how much we believe them and whether they are supported by any evidence at all.