Compulsary police service

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Norsefire, Aug 1, 2008.

?

Is my idea good?[read OP]

1. Yes, it's a good idea

26.7%
  2. I like the concept but I disagree

6.7%
  3. I do not like your idea

66.7%
  1. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

The reason I put this here, instead of justice, is because it doesn't really have to do with the ethics or morality, but rather something else altogether.

My idea- compulsary police service, at 18, for 24 months. There's already compulsary military service in nations like Israel, and undoubtedly it helps to give citizens the training and discipline they need, so I was thinking: why not police service?

You know how there is compulsary national service (military service)? Why not compulsary police service?

The pros far outweigh the cons. Compulsary military service can help teach the popoulace discipline AND prepare them to defend the country and help them, etc. They have it in Israel and alot of other places

But with compulsary police service, say, 24 months

Pros

- Can help educate citizens on the Law and proper law enforcement
    - Can give them important and valuable training (sort of like teaching them CPR)
    - Can help them to get disciplined and fit

Cons-

Nothing

It also boosts police numbers.

Don't get me wrong: they wouldn't join up as SWAT or anything, just BASIC police officers. The more important police would be their by choice and because that's their career.

Of course for men though. Or women. I don't know.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Not bad. both men and women, it'll also be a way of keeping trouble off the streets.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Yes. It is a good idea all around and there really are no cons that I can think of.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Yeah, Off the streets and taking over the police force.

Seriously it's a bad idea because if there is no "selection" and people were "Drafted" they could come from all walks of life, the last thing we need is the undesirables being able to delete their records or cover up their crimes.

8. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Obviously there could be screening services and they wouldn't become true police officers. They'd simply learn the basics about the law and law enforcement.

9. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

There is already enough crooked cops.

10. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

its an intersting idea i grant you, dont know how well it would work though

I would be much more likly to surport something like this than national service. You could also concider organisations like the CFS (country fire service) and the SES (state emergency service). the advantage of these 2 is that they are voleenter organisations anyway and there isnt complex legal stuff which goes with it (which is a problem with the police). Also something like St johns ambulance (rather than the real ambulance service) would work to because the skills required are much lower

11. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Or we could just make joining the Cadet Core compulsory in schools.

12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

challanger i dont agree with any form of NATIONAL service especially with the millatry. COMUNITY service on the other hand has merrit

the difference is that community service helps your nabors ect where as national service just teaches to kill by order.

the SES spends its time sandbagging for floods, cutting up trees and securing houses after storms ect, ie helping people not shooting them

which do you think actually has benift?

13. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I didn't exactly mean the military, the cadets are a community based group, but I suppose in line with the Police idea, SES would be a better off thing.

14. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

challanger why the cadets? which are by definition atached to the millatry

why not the scouts which have no millatry association?
    but even the scouts dont truly help in the way that an organisation like the SES or the CFS does. the scouts is mostly mucking around with a little comunity service thrown in (and this is from someone who was in the scouts from 8 till 20), send kids to do volenteer work in a hospital or one of the volenteer emergency services, that will actually teach comunity spirit.

My problem with the cadets isnt just the guns, its the "you must follow orders, salute" mentality. It doesnt teach you to question what the goverment is doing, it just teaches you to follow it. Citizanship is about an informed judgement of the current goverment and the alternitives, as well as actually paying enough atention to vote. You cant teach that in the millatry, you can in the emergency services and in health. Watching people sitting around on hospital trollies all night because the goverment wont pay enough to recurite the clinical staff to treat them you think that people will come out of that day in day out and still be apathetic about there goverment?

15. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Yeah, I agree, I might do a bit of St Johns later.

It's true, It is a conformist environment, I had to take leave just to avoid the hypocrisy present in some areas.

I see your point, A first aid service like St.Johns or SES should be introduced compulsory or at least provided with incentive.

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

What if people want to play professional sports, or if they want to go to college, or go to work in a field of their own choosing, or they are medically inept or have medical problems, or if they are rich and pay people off not to do this at all,oe if they are just plain not wanting to get involved with this sort of thing because they don't like being forced to do something .:shrug:

17. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

cosmic, the SES meet once a week and only work by call out. its not really that hard a comitment

18. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Perhaps for you but if you were a professional football athlete that would interfere with your training as well as game playing abilities. What if you are married and have children to raise? There are some which will see this as an invasion of their right to enjoy freedom of choice in what their lives are for, not someone telling them anything to do.

19. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i know cosmic but if sociaty wishes to impose "national service" this is a much better option than millatry service

20. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

By imposing something on people you will ultimately have some of them upset for they don't want their lives to be dictated as to what to do or where to go at anytime. In my examples I showed you there will be many instances of discord . Why not make it an all volunteer police service for anyone wanting to do such a thing? Wouldn't it be better for people with free will to have a choice?

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Nice idea, I'd go for 12 months though.

22. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I don't understand why my idea is so bad. I can only think of benefits: what cons? None. It'd help to discipline the youth as well.

23. John99 Banned Banned

It is a good idea. Put them on the street when they are around 12-14 to let them see what is out there.