Studying abroad

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by NenarTronian, Jun 20, 2002.

1. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

Anybody ever study abroad during high school or college? Or just visit in a foreign country for a time? Seems like real fun, I think i'd like to study abroad during college...maybe in Costa Rica or somewhere.

My highschool takes its spanish students on a 2 week trip to spain next year

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I'm already signed up

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I think that is what Pollux 5 is doing at home...

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

i plan to eventually here.... im not sure where though.. id be minoring in french, so it would prolly be in Nice or Paris. Depending on the college you choose, often times the tuition is not much more for the abroad program than the origonal, but it depends on what cities you go to aswell.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

NenarTronian ...

Why not consider Canada?

There are a number of excellent universities North of the border and
    the exchange rate is great. Besides which, it's a great country.

Take care.

8. Agent@5 Registered Senior Member

yeah yeah ill go to canada, where when?

9. You Killed Jesus 14/88 Registered Senior Member

Sweden or the Netherlands sound like cool places to go.

If you're going to Canada, go to the U of A

10. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

I'm from the USA, so it wouldnt be that exciting to go there

Well i'd be studying biology, so that limits it down alittle. DukeU has exchange programs with Australia, Denmark, Costa Rica, and lots of others. Since i'm nearly fluent in spanish and will be by this time, Costa Rica seems a good choice. Its a beautiful place, plus i'd be up to my eyebrows in tropical rainforest!

11. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

Hahahahahaha............... You mean Canada the 51th state of America?

That is not studying aboard at all. That is the same as staying where you are.

Cool places to go: Sweden, Holland, Greece, Italy.

Good places to learn: Germany, Japan.

12. Captain Canada Stranger in Town Registered Senior Member

Fantastic quote and so true! Thank's for that Chagur!

I shall slip you the $50 later (Canadian of course)

If you want to get away from North America though, I would suggest the UK - the universities are in need of cash and teaching standards vary, but I guarantee you'll have a great social life!

13. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Joeman ...

I take it you've never been to Canada.

51st state? Posh! ... A more civilized country.

Take care

14. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

The Fish studied many. Brunettes, redheads, and blondes. Ahhhh... the small of her back - an often over-looked erogenous zone.

*sigh*

15. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

Belgian universities are higly rated abroad. Belgium is nice too. But nothing beats Yosemite, The Canyon, Monument Valley,...

*walks away dreaming*

16. orthogonal Registered Senior Member

I studied German for a month in Regensburg, Germany in 1998. It's a gorgeous medieval city that managed to miss the Allied bombs in WW2. I lived on the 5th floor in an ancient building on Roter Hahn Strasse (Red Hen Street). On some evenings a young girl would stand across the narrow street and sing old Bavarian folk songs. I still remember her song one early evening in May just as the rain stopped. Some of the women still dress in "Trachten" style (be still, my heart). I lived on Vollkornbrot, weisse Spargel und Bier (whole grain bread, white asparagus, and beer) for nearly the entire month. http://www.germany-tourism.de/e/dest_cities_regensburg_e.html

Regensburg had a special beerhall setup for the month of May. This is for their "Maidult" celebration. I spent many evenings there with my classmates: four American stewardesses and one Australian Steward from United Airlines, two Italian girls, a guy from Turkish Cypruss, and two Italian guys. One afternoon all of us took a small boat down the Danube to visit a Cloister in which the Monks are known for their skill at brewing. I had a liter of the best beer I've ever tasted. We were all quite happy on the boat back to Regensburg. Well, I'll stop with the stories before I get started. But you get the idea, I love Germany. I still wear my grey boiled wool "Trachten" jacket from time to time. It reminds me of some very happy times. Deutschland ist schoen!

Tschuess,
    Michael

Last edited: Jun 21, 2002
  17. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Many is the time I rode a bicycle across the valley to the opposite valley mountain wall. Near the peak of this wall was a monestary with a keystone dated 1614 or there abouts. The monks there brewed their own beer in stainless steel vats. You could look through picture windows into the brewery. They sold their beer in earthern ware mugs, your choice, liter or 1/2 liter. A couple of mugs would get the average American drunk. I would then proceed down the narrow paved road on the bike to the bottom of the mountain where there was a stone bridge where you could sit and watch a mountain stream flowing over the rocks. I dearly loved their brotwurst and mustard. It was sold much the same as our hot dog vendors do, from a cart. Jagersnitzel (hunter's steak) was a delight to the palate. Because of the short growing season, most vegetables, eggs, chickens, ect. are not the same size as ours. They are all smaller. The people are nice, having the same needs, wants, desires, and motivations as anyone else. Foreign countries are strange worlds to enjoy, too savor and remember...

18. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

I'm coming back home...!!!

I've been studing in Canada for almost a year and now I'm going back.

Canada is a great idea. It's cheaper then the US, it's less crowded, safer, somewhat bilingual, great people...

But if you live in US better go to a very different place... or somewhere in Europe. France, for example. It's VERY GOOD wake up in the morning, go to a cafe, have a capuccino or a caffe latte with croissant... Hummmmm...

19. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

Say hi to Ronaldo for me.

Take care!

20. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Le Sorbonne near the river Seine, in France. A wonderful university where you can study Art, Theater and all that kind of stuff.

Because my mother is from France, I have family living in Paris and stayed at Le Sorbonne for 9 months. Man, it was bliss...what a wonderful time and what a great city Paris is. Visit Mont Martre and Le Sacre Ceure. ( now I forgot if I spelled that right.

) Oh, there's so much more to discover in Paris and Marseilles and Mont Pellier of course. Oh, I start dreaming about the time I had there, right away again...

21. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Canada is a great idea. It's cheaper then the US, it's less crowded, safer, somewhat bilingual, great people...

Actually, the US is cheaper, and that's without taking into consideration the exchange rate on the dollar and the higher rate of taxes paid out in Canada. Sales taxes in Canada are close to 15% in some provinces.

How do you define, 'less crowded?' Canada has thousands of square miles of uninhabitable land. Most of the population lives within a hundred miles or so of the US border. Big cities and small towns are somewhat similar in both countries.

Safer? Crime in the US has been decreasing rapidly over the last 15 years while crime in Canada has steadily increased. Drug triads from China and Vietnam run rampant throughout Canada. Home invasions, car and home thefts, drive by shootings are becoming commonplace in Canada. Their justice and immigration systems are laughable.

Somewhat bilingual? You mean the force fed French language, right? Two international languages instead of one. Most people in Canada speak other languages besides French due mostly in part of the fact that most people are immigrants from many other countries. More people in Canada speak Chinese and Punjabi than French. The costs of doing business also escalate due to being forced to deal with two languages instead of one.

Great people? People are the same wherever you go. However, the people in the US are the greatest people in the world. Don't forget that.

Is it any wonder why Canadians are flocking to the US in droves leaving behind their "Great Country."

22. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I'd like to learn in UK (quality) or Spain (it's cool there).
    never been to Canada, the USA is not an option.

23. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Banshee,

WOW! WHat a coincidence... I was thinking of studying there...!

Do they have good courses of languages and diplomacy?

Oh... and don't forget the cafes...