Which PS3?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Michael, Aug 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I'm thinking of getting the PS3, BUT, there seems to be 80, 40, 60 gig and some seem to have backwards compatability and some do not...

Right now I see almost all stores in AU are selling the 40 gig, is that a good one? Anyone bought it yet?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

I would suggest buying a bigger memory PS3...as it is a graphics console of massive needs for file size.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

yeah, but I don't even think there are any of the 60 or 80 anymore (in Sydney AU). ALSO, I read the 40g doesn't play PS2 games ... that sucks

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I was wondering, does the Japanese PS3 play Australian and USA games or only Japanese?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

8. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i bought a PS3and i got the one with the bigger memory, i have to keep a load of music stored in it, also i ahve to admit what the clincher was for me, was the fact that it can play blu ray dvd's

9. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I haven't ever played on a PS3, but someone brought me one to change the hd on. It's super easy, and uses a standard laptop IDE hd. Took all of 2 minutes. The flashware formatted the new drive with the push of a button.

Would it be better to get a smaller drived ps3 and change it out?

10. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

then you have the expensens of buying anouther HD

11. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Sony has announced that they will be dropping the 40G unit and replacing it with the 80G unit as the primary console, AND they will drop the price of the 80G to that of the 40G.

XBox loses again and will become the most expensive console, comparatively.

12. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

yeah my buddy said sony was dropping the 40g and that I should just wait - and, really, I still have PS2 games I want to finish so I suppose I will do that.

13. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

A good idea is to check the backward compatibility list of games with the varying consoles.

14. Dr Mabuse Percipient Thaumaturgist Registered Senior Member

Though Sony has promised to continue development on it. The software emulation of backwards compatibility is not very good. Even very mainstream titles like Ratchet & Clank don't play well.

The only PS3 that had real backward compatibility was the original 60 gig model, it had actual hardware for the job. It worked well and I played my PS2 games for over a year on it, it upscaled the graphics and the games looked better than ever. Till it died. The hardware for the backward compatibility may have been the cause of the PS3 failures of those early models, it ran HOT, my new one runs cold by comparison. A HUGE difference.

Now I have my PS2 set up to play PS2 games on, and the PS3 for the PS3 games.

Sony is no longer concentrating on backward compatibility, it added a lot of cost to the PS3. They are working on lowering the cost of the unit.

Don't count on working backward compatibility on a PS3 is my point.

15. draqon Banned Banned

they need nitrogen cooling system for PS3...

or one of those liquid metal cooling systems.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.