The science of the Afterlife

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Norsefire, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I don't mean an afterlife in the religious sense, but rather, a life after life. Not necessarily in some other place, just a life after life.

According to what we know of science, is an afterlife a possibility? If so, how could it work?

Speaking purely from a materialistic point of view, and assuming there is nothing beyond our material world, how would an afterlife work? Is it even possible?

Mods: if you think there's a better place for this then feel free to move it.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

You only reap what you sow, so basically if you sit on your backside waiting for something to be given to you, you'll be greatly disappointed.

This is the reason why the Religious reasoning to an Afterlife being granted for nothing is a load of rubbish.

There are Transhumanist avenues that can be followed, however that means knuckling down and doing the groundwork. This however can also generate problems, for instance different people within different religions have different beliefs, some thing they'll end up in heaven, some think in hell, some thing in a place of their own making, some think other lives, some think the same life all over again. This means while it might be the best idea to attempt to create an afterlife system for all regardless of Religion, it could fall foul because of the differences and even if a single system was seen a monopoly and a number spring up to harbour commercial competitiveness.

(This of course would give way to some religions belief's in regards to "The Collector of Souls" because some evil corporations just might hoodwink people into buying into their version of the afterlife and go bankrupt personally. Leaving that person void of any future other than Oblivion in death.)

I have some theoretical concepts on how man crossing into a machine would be possible, however they would all seem extremely complex and science fiction at best.

(Obviously it's a difficult one to move as it's open to interpretation, so probably best left in Free Thoughts.)

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Wait, I'm not talking about immortality and nothing has to do with religion here

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I'm speaking about after death, we have another life. How would it work? Obviously our energy doesn't die, could it be transferred into another organism, and thus somehow, eventually back to Human?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Personally I know there is no "afterlife" for I have died once already and was brought back to "life" after about 3 minutes being dead. So since there is no such thing I can't even venture to guess what you might be trying to discuss here. Unless of coure you are wanting some sort of fictional or Sci Fi type of theory I can't be of much help.

8. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

How does it feel like to be dead?

What I'm trying to say, is that based on natural systems, is it possible for us to be concious again, perhaps after an exchange of energy, etc, how would an afterlife work, scientifically?

By afterlife I mean a conciousness after death, perhaps in another organism.

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

It was just like going to sleep when it happened. I just faded to black and then was awakened with doctors around me and one pumping my chest. I was dead and nothing happened to me that I can recall at all.

10. shaman_ Registered Senior Member

If we do continue on we won't be able to perceive it. In fact everything that defined "us" would be gone.

11. TheVisitor The Journey is the Reward Registered Senior Member

Really.
    You think you know for certain do you.?

What if that oblivion you experienced is just your outcome.
    Not everyone else's?
    If you don't have faith in an afterlife....maybe you don't have one, or don't have one yet.
    Jesus said you must be born again.
    This physical life ends. But the spiritual body within continues on after it comes to life here.

I was there once too....recently.
    With a vastly different experience.

2006 - lethal head injury.
    Sub-dural hematoma, on life support, in a coma.
    Not three minutes....for three days.
    Open brain surgery to remove the hemorrhage, repair the broken blood vessels that caused it.
    Vacuum out the splinters of a skull crushed so badly there wasn't any left to put back, so they used a titanium steel mesh...
    After the surgery, the injury to the brain makes it start to swell.
    They leave a hole in the top of your head with a gauge sticking out to monitor the pressure.
    This is where most people die.
    They used drugs to artificially induce a coma every time the pressure shoots up too high from brain activity.
    This lets the brain rest and heal.
    When the drugs wear off they monitor the pressure gauge.
    You begin to regain consciousness and your automatic breathing kicks in, but you're still on the machine.
    It feels like your being suffocated, the machine won't let you breathe till it's timing activates, not yours.

I got worse... after three days in a coma they called my family, to say their goodbyes. There were many prayers.
    Then I did a complete turn around and began to recover rapidly.
    The doctors were astonished, they had pretty much given up after doing all they could.
    They said anyone who recovered as quickly as I did, usually made a full recovery.
    Another week in intensive care, a week in a wheelchair, one more in physical therapy and I walked out of the hospital on my own two feet.
    The doctors said it was a miracle.
    They actually used that word.

While in the hospital, in a wheelchair with amnesia so powerful it also paralyzed my legs.....my physical body was so weak that my spiritual body, normally so far in the background of my mind it is just a whisper or a thought at best....came to the surface.

I knew everyone I met as though I had for their whole lives.
    Everything about them.
    A nature came over me so non-violent, gentle... my daughter said; "Mommy, he's so soft"
    I had one last "thought" as my body gained strength and pushed back this other nature, like waking from a dream.
    "No matter how strong you are, it's not by your abilities you succeed in God's realm.
    Here you can put off things and run at the last minute to catch up.
    With God, every little thing adds up...and the whole is greater than just the sum of the parts, it's His glory not yours He shares with you.
    That's whats ahead.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  12. Tnerb Banned Banned

omg the visitor is back

There is always rebirth.
    You mentionend something important here:
    That is the point of rebirth. A life after ours is only able to be considered in terms of our reality at present imo. also imo there is no, absolutely no other way than to consider solphism and multi-person solphisms and the reality of the inter-connectedness that we all share.

This brings us to question also parapsychology to a cerain extent if you really are truly wishing to examine what a science of an after life woudl consist (the only manner of thought for considering it, that is.)
    For example:
    Telepathy (don't run away yet), and things like the nature of our minds in accord with actual reality.
    If you consider this then you no doubt would be wondering what it is to be a human being and what qualities consist of a human being (which are yet to be uncovered).

So IMO rebirth is potentially real, considering all of the crazy shit that I have experienced in my own mind and near death while fully alive experiences. I am not one of those "fanatics"; that 'experiences', rebirth or life after death, but only one who has experienced more of a destruction and realization to follow suit of death like experiences which have opend my mind to what reality is like and what things of this nature present to us.

13. Reiku Banned Banned

I think it best to involve Dr Wolf with my answer. I cannot honestly say that through years of intimatel talking to him, do i know his exact answer to an afterlife, but posited on the strange fact physics finds it difficult to answer for the mysteries of the mind, i am sure he would say it is totally viable that -- as you put it, ''According to what we know of science, is an afterlife a possibility?''

This might be reserved however for a specific model he has. Take for instance his views on the soul. He believes the soul streams in from the very beginningof the spacetime fabric, and finishes at the Omega Point of everything located in the future.

I don't believe in the soul, i think it is only a metaphor for ''self,'' however, in a sense, Wolfs continuation of the soul after death is analogous to a type of afterlife. Perhaps if souls exist, it is possible for souls to be used again in creation? Psychon theory, or at least, what i know of it, posits a finite amount of souls. This would agree well with the notion that souls are re-used. An infinite amount of souls would be pointless for the propogation of souls after death into new bodies.

There is a strange phenomena, where certain individuals are put under deep regression, and they somehow ''witness,'' a previous life. Some of the witnesses have had their metal pushed, and everything turned out to show an exact evidence when investigated. Of course, Karma posits that when we die, we may have to live life again, because of unpaid debts to some universal law of balance.

14. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

15. Reiku Banned Banned

Of course, parallel universe model.

Only thing though, is that you are alive in each and every one of these parallel universes; an infinite amount of them, and if you die in this universe, there is no coming back, but only through the quantum interpretation that you are immortal in this parallel universal self.

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I only speak for myself. As you can read I never said that everyone died, I only said that I did and what happened to ME. Perhaps you didn't understand what I wrote. I do however know that there's no afterlife as far as I'm concerned and will never "believe" in anyone who tells me differently.

17. TheVisitor The Journey is the Reward Registered Senior Member

Fair enough, theres enough false religion out there... I don't blame you for being skeptical.
    This is one of those things you need to know for yourself, not take someone elses word for it.

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

If life didn't come after life, it would have died out billions of years ago.

19. Reiku Banned Banned

Maybe all religions point to a single truth. Maybe there is no other type of religion?

20. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Don't you see? You are contradicting yourself.
    You said you died. And then you lived again. So the life you have right now, is an afterlife.

21. Myles Registered Senior Member

Do you call that an argument ? You know exactly what was intended. Rather, lets have your views, if any, on the resurrection of a putrefying corpse known as Lazarus. That would be an afterlife.

22. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Actually it is an "after death" experiance if you really want to be exact.

23. TheVisitor The Journey is the Reward Registered Senior Member

That hits on a good point.
    I believe all the major religions contain some element of truth.
    A piece of the greater puzzle.

It's been said; "a good lie contains 99% truth".
    But in that other 1% lies the "hook".
    It can mean the difference between life or death.

The trick is to know or discern the truth contained in each and recognize the "filler" or "non-truth".....traditions, rituals, dogmas, etc...

I liken it to a painting in which the artist has hidden the "object" whatever it is in a background..... a cloud or a bush etc...
    When you first look at the picture, all you see is the bush.
    But once you see the hidden object....it's all you'll ever see.
    It is always in plain sight to you from then on.

That's how it is.

Once that has happened for you, you can separate the truth from error in all the religions and piece these parts together to see a larger truth about our existence.
    It's a great drama playing out and everyone has a part to play.
    You can choose which part you act out....
    To either let your baser instincts control you more and more gradually, or deny them and walk in the revelation of what you receive spiritually.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008