Open Office

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by lucifers angel, Jul 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

I downloaded open office last night, and having problems getting the stupid system to work properly, well in fact AT ALL

I downloaded it, it says its on my pc properly and corectly, but whenever i open open office, its gives me a list of folders to open and when i do, it asks me if i want to "cancel, extract or run" now how do i get to open a writing page and save it, and also what the hell does extract mean.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. phlogistician Banned Banned

Hell, it's been ages since I used 'OpenOffice', ... if I get time I'll bung it on a spare machine, and see how it goes.

Meanwhile, to make sure it's a close match, what OS and what version of 'Open Office' are you using?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Sounds to me like the installation didn't work properly. What I would suggest you do is first "uninstall" you're attempted installation.

(The means go to Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel
    And choose to uninstall OpenOffice.

Once you've done that make sure you've downloaded the most updated version of OO, http://download.openoffice.org/

When you install it, it should install Java to your system as well (Since Open Office uses it). Sometimes the Java Updater will run telling you that a newer version of Java is available, you should update it when you see this message.

When you first run open office you will agree to an agreement as well as Identify the name you want to be identified on your documents.

It sounds that simple because it technically should be that simple, if it doesn't run that smooth then something fouls afoot and it will require greater diagnostics.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

extract the files and run setup.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. firdroirich A friend of The Friends Registered Senior Member

Open Office rocks! Extract simply means that the files are compressed and need to be uncompressed to be run. Yeah, check you have latest java installed.

9. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

Are you sure you aren't just accidentally re-running the installer instead of the actual program? It sounds like it's trying to decompress the temporary installation files.

10. Nonsense Non doesn't make sense. Registered Senior Member

Notepad for the win

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

If your install process doesn't begin with opening a terminal and typing sudo apt-get install, I'm afraid I can't help. But I will say that I've been using Open Office for a while and I'm fairly pleased. There are a few things that I can do in MS Office that are missing, but they are minor and generally related to customizing tool bars and such.

By and large, I haven't run into much that I can't do in OO that I can do in MS. I typically save all my files in MSO 97 format for compatibility, but I've opened documents created in the latest versions of MSO in OO with no problems.

12. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I have open office installed, it's very good :|~

13. CheskiChips Banned Banned

V for win.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.