The perfect system of government

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Norsefire, Jul 29, 2008.

?

What do you think of my idea?[read post first]

1. It's a great idea

7.7%
  2. It needs a few tweaks/additions

7.7%
  3. It's absolutely horrible

84.6%
  1. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I had an idea over the perfect system of government.

I was thinking, well, democracy has a "worry free guarantee" sort of thing (yes i ripped it off the commercial) but it isn't efficient

So I was thinking: how do you get the efficiency of absolute states with the "wfg" of democracies?

Here:

Firstly, each province in the nation elects two individuals to be their representatives. There will be elections held for this "council" every so few years, to ensure that the counsilors do their job

The council would be all the representatives under one house, sort of like the Senate, which each pair of reps responsible for their corresponding provinces but also of course able to discuss national issues

The council would be one part, and the leader the other

The leader would have absolute power over the state, and originally would be elected and examined (and would need to be approved) by the council to be benevolent, wise, etc
    i.e, not corrupt or stupid

However, the council by majority vote can override him or put another in his place if he abuses his power, and if a decision is called to question by the people or council, it can be examined and overrided

However, if the leader is kept for longer than ten years (i.e, he's a good leader), he stays and he trains another from birth to replace him. This can be a near guarantee of another benevolent leader

This eliminates the risk with Monarchies (where while one king may be good his son may be bad)
    and the instability in dictatorships when the leader dies

The council would ensure that the needs of the people are addressed, and the leader would ensure that they are attended.

On top of that, there would be a national forum. I mean, citizens can register and formally address their concerns, complaints, needs, ideas, etc, directly with the council and leader
    Of course it'd have to be mass-scale petitions or hearings otherwise they can't bother with each individual person obviously

The leader would choose cabinet members under each aspect of the nation (economy, civil affairs, military, etc)to do their jobs as a department (not just them alone obviously).However the leader can override them (but in turn can be overrided by the council if it's a corrupt move)

There would also be certain basic rights and liberties

The court system would be established democratically, in which candidates are nominated and then elected by the council, with elections every few years. The court would be responsible for finding guilty or not guilty. The executive decides the punishment.

The people could call for reelection in the case of corrupt judges.

Now I think this is a good system for two reasons

1) You gain the efficiency of supreme power states
    2) You have the reassurance of something against corruption

What say you?

Edit: This would be constitutionalized to ensure the system stays in place and can be amended, but not abused, where amendments would require the unanymous council vote, but can be suggested by either the leader or a majority population vote OR the council itself.

However, the additional amendments would not be able to override the original election laws, etc, so there isn't corruption in amending it in stupid ways

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Underverse Registered Member

If this poll included the option of "outlaw the Spice Girls", or "state religion to be based on Tom Jones worship" I'd have gone for it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

This easily ends it for me. Not only do I not trust any one person or body of people to have total control, but I also do not trust that panel of elected officials can hold enough competence to put the best man or women into such a position of power.

However, I am for a system in which executive power is not absolute (nor anywhere near) and that only a body of elected officials may choose this person. With this, power rests more with the people as they spend more of their time and effort keeping their elected representatives in line rather than worrying about what one man is doing.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Were you high when you came up with this?

8. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

While I read some more, I was asking myself the same question.

9. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I notice you're always sarcastic in every thread. It's annoying, so please stop.
    But the panel is elected by the people, and can override the leader

I even said there would be ways to keep the man in line

10. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

All you said is that this panel can override him. How can a man with absolute power be overridden by a simple vote? If I were to fake my way to office and I am given absolute power, I would command the armies to take over all media outlets and then to do away with the representatives.

Override that.

11. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

There would also be certain basic liberties of course.

12. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Constitutionalized.

OK, the man would have NEAR absolute power, but the council represents an additional authority to counter corruption

So they can override any one of his moves BEFORE it goes into action if they see fit

Think of the council as a sort of Supreme Court and Senate combo

13. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

You'd be better off being more subtle and start a campaign of propaganda through all the government controlled media.
    People like for you to kiss the backs of their necks when you fuck them in the ass.
    With absolute power, it would be pretty easy to kiss the backs of their necks.

14. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

There would be certain basic liberties, like freedom of speech (not necessarily freedom of expression)

So the leader CAN be questioned and criticized, and there would also be non government media

15. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Let me ask you, would you trust the current Senate to choose a non-corrupt and intelligent ruler?
    I wouldn't.
    What about the senate from 2000 that was overwhelmingly one-sided?
    Create a political cabal and give them the power to appoint an overlord and you have a recipe for disaster and abuse.

16. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

The senate would have to, because they'd be elected so they'd have to do well to stay in office and the leader can be overrrided, perhaps even directly by the people

17. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Like there are in the US now?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

When you tighten up the power like you described, what civil liberties we have now would be all but eradicated as a matter of course.
    Concentrating absolute power in the back pockets of a select few individuals.

18. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

They would have to what?
    Sorry, I missed something.

19. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

No they wouldn't they'd be constitutionalized and thus untouchable (the liberties I mean) because they would be superficial

When you tigten up the power you gain efficiency. It's only a matter of weeding out corruption.

20. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

To do well, to stay in office, because they are ELECTED.

The populace in a vast majority vote could also call for re-election if they sense corruption, as a basic and untouchable right

21. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

What are all your branches of government? Explain any and all check-and-balance systems.

22. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Executive- the leader himself, chosen by the council. He has control over the state UNLESS the constitution states otherwise (so not over liberties and basic rights), and can be removed from office by unanymous council vote. Successor is chosen by the leader himself.

Council- elected representatives to each of their respective provinces. Main responsibility is to represent the people and keep the leader in balance.

-Has the power to override any decision of the leader before or after effect (in the case of laws) by unanymous vote
    - Has the power to remove the leader from office by unanymous vote, in which case they choose a new one

-does not directly govern the state

-is elected every five years
    The citizens can call for-re-lection, in which case as a basic right if the majority do, there is another election

Cabinet- Assists the leader in governing the state, each with own department.
    Can be overrided by executive (which can then be overrided by the council, in which case power goes back to the cabinet)

Advisor- vice executive. No power but elected directly by the people to advise the executive. Cannot be removed from office except directly by the people (voted out). No regular elections, but the people can call for one

23. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Because they would be superficial?
    Please explain that.

How does the constitution get ammended?
    Not by the senate or god-man in power?