The perfect Tan.

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by BarbieGirl14, Jul 28, 2008.

1. BarbieGirl14 Registered Senior Member

iv heard that you can get a tan on a cloudy day... is this really true?

also, iv noticed that i get sunburnt alot more when im in the pool all day, then when im simply out side

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

if UV rays are still going than yes you can still get a tan. But you are grounded, so no tan for you.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Myles Registered Senior Member

In English English., she should have her backside tanned.I think yanks paddle.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

exactly

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I thought you were grounded young lady! The pool water reflects sunlight, as does the light concrete surfaces usually found around the pool. You should wear sunscreen and carry a parasol, or you will look like a prune when you're 40.

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

19) Are the risks of ultraviolet (UV) exposure at the beach less on a cloudy day?

Not necessarily. The effect of clouds on UV radiation is as varied as the clouds themselves. Fully overcast skies lead to reductions in surface UV irradiance. On average, scattered or broken clouds also cause reductions, but short-term or localised UV levels can be larger than for cloud-free skies if direct sunlight is also present. Clouds tend to randomise the directions of the incoming radiation (because of scattering) so that a hat may provide less protection on a cloudy day relative to a clear day.

Furthermore, people often change their behaviour on cloudy days. If they spend more time out in the open, or forego the use of sunscreen, they may end up with a very bad sunburn. In general, less UV radiation is received per hour under an overcast sky than under a clear sky, but extending one�s stay at the beach may easily compensate for this effect. A completely cloud-covered sky may still transmit substantial amounts of UV-B radiation. In principle, any amount of UV-B radiation exposure contributes to the skin cancer risk.

Sunbathing
    20) Will sunscreens protect one from harmful effects of increased UV-B radiation?
    Not always. Sunscreens applied to human skin limit the penetration of UV radiation into the skin, and thus sunburn can be prevented. Sunscreens were primarily developed for this purpose. The effectiveness of sunscreens in protecting against skin cancer and immune suppressions is under debate. Any effectiveness in these respects may well be lost if the sunscreen is used to stay out in the sunlight longer than would be done without the sunscreen. It should also be kept in mind that there are other ways to protect the skin. These include staying out of the sunlight during the hours when the UV-B is maximal around solar noon, seeking the shade, wearing clothes, and especially hats.

21) Will getting a suntan help prevent skin cancer?

No. There is no evidence that getting a suntan will help prevent skin cancer. The UV exposure needed to acquire the tan adds to the skin cancer risk. The fact that one is able to tan well does, however, signify that the personal risk is lower (by a factor of 2 to 3) than for people who do not tan. Naturally dark-skinned people have a built-in protection of their skin against sunlight.

http://www.gcrio.org/UNEP1998/UNEP98p73.html

10. BarbieGirl14 Registered Senior Member

do you need to be sun burned to get a tan?

do tanning beds have u.v. rays?

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

22) Is tanning with UV lamps safer than with sunlight?

No. The risks are approximately equal. For some time it was hoped that UV lamps could be made safer by making more use of long-wavelength (UV-A) radiation. That type of radiation is much less carcinogenic than the shorter-wavelength UV-B radiation, but one needs more UV-A than UV-B for acquiring a tan.

http://www.gcrio.org/UNEP1998/UNEP98p73.html

12. BarbieGirl14 Registered Senior Member

UV rays is the result of nuclear fusion?

13. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Picture or it never happened...

14. Bells Staff Member

No. You don't need to get sun burned to get a tan. But just getting a tan can increase your chances of getting skin cancer. How can I put this.. If you spend your youth tanning, at best you'll end up looking like a dessicated raisin by the time you're 40. At worst you will get skin cancer... At best with skin cancer, they can simply remove the cancer if it is small enough, so you could end up with scars on your body and having to continuously get yourself checked... middle of the range you could end up losing chunks of skin and then having to undergo extensive cancer treatment which will mean the loss of your hair and worse. At worst, you die. So ask yourself.. is a tan worth it?

As for using tanning beds, you might want to rethink that idea as well.

If you are that desperate for a tan, buy the best fake tan lotion you can afford.. Clarins make a good one that gives you natural light colour and you can become darker the more often you use it.. There are good fake tan lotions out there that gradually increases the 'tan' effect of the skin without having to expose yourself to the sun (or tanning beds), thereby increasing your chance of getting skin cancer with exposure.

15. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

According to the American Academy of Dermatology, the most effective products available are sunless tanning or self tanning lotions that contain dihydroxyacetone (DHA) as the active ingredient. The tan is not a dye, stain or paint, but a chemical reaction between the DHA and the amino acids in the dead layer on the skin surface. This is similar to a reaction well known to food chemists called the Maillard reaction. This refers to the browning process during food manufacturing and storage. It does not involve skin pigmentation nor does it need UV exposure to initiate the color change. The reaction is non-toxic and skin safe, without the potential risks associated with UV exposure. The tan is temporary and will fade gradually over 3 to 10 days. Some products use Erythrulose combined with the DHA. Erythrulose works identically to DHA on the skin surface, but develops more slowly. The two chemicals used together may produce a longer lasting sunless tan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunless_tanning

16. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Yeah, but what's in the lotion that dyes your skin?

Cancerous,no doubt..

/"don't be an orange bitch"

-downtownbrown

17. Bells Staff Member

Fake tans are supposed to be safe and from what I've noticed with people who use them, they don't turn you orange if you get a good one and use it properly. Sun tans and tanning beds are not. If someone is that desperate to get a tan, they'd be best opting for a fake tan than broiling themselves in the sun or on a tanning bed.

18. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Dude. Appearances are so overrated. As long as you don't look like a troll, you're fine.

19. BarbieGirl14 Registered Senior Member

i dont NEED a tan... its summer... its just winter is coming up and i just wanted to know about it... i dont really like going to tanning beds.. its uncomfertable.. if you have never been to one.. you have to get almost naked, and then this person comes up and puts his face like 2 inches from your body and sprays this stuff on you all over.. its so uncomfertable

but its nice becasue like you can put a little heart shaped thing on your body, and after a couple hours in the tanning bed, you take it off and your all tan and you have this little heart on you thats lighter coller!

also i like tanning when its sunny out, but i wasnt sure if you can get a tan when its cloudy.. i dont look good pale

the lotion thing seems like a good idea though.. im going to look into that.. just hope it doesnt go on uneven...

20. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

oh leave her alone, she's a kid, kids do some silly things, creeping out to meet a boy is not worth a grounding over!

21. BarbieGirl14 Registered Senior Member

22. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

yeah I am waxing my skis this weekend....

23. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

a common mistake that people make is that because sunscreen won't let you tan, you just go out in the sun without anything on your skin. That is bad bad bad.
    Get tanning oil with FPS8. You will tan and will not turn pink, and you'll have some protection on your skin.