Ports / Proxies / UDP / TCP / Ventrilo

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Waddleh, Jul 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waddleh Registered Member

Okay Gentleman, short and sweet wins the day.

My issue, I lack any sort of basic knowledge with tunnels, proxies and port forwarding. :bawl: Laugh away now.

I work nightshifts and connect to the work network via my laptop running Vista Home Premium (not the best OS i know)
    I use a program called Your Freedom to open port 1080 so I can play World of Warcraft a MMORPG via Socks v2.
    I'd like to get Ventrilo 3.0 working but I am always stuck on the MSG: Contacting Server after i click connect (regardless of if its socksified or not), apparently this is because this version of Vent is reliant on UDP whereas previous versions were only reliant on TCP, If it makes any difference, the works firewall/filter is Websense.
    I have zero knowledge of code like Linux or C++ if that is a potential solution.

I therefore ask for a solution (in layman's terms if possible) of somehow getting Vent to work, something that did look promising was an SIP/RTP Tunnel, (source: d-tunnel website sip_tunnel link) yet to be honest thats a little over my head also. Ive tried Putty and Pingfu but couldnt get either of them to work. (More likely to be my lack of understanding)

Hopefully amongst this collection of brains there is a simple solution.
    Thankyou

Matt

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

You can't use the "Your Freedom" program to open the port that your Ventrilo server is using?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Waddleh Registered Member

no apparently it doesnt support VOIP software

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I'm afraid this isn't an easy thing to explain. It's just going to require you tinkering around with using SOCKS, the main problem however is Dynamic allocation of UDP ports as you mentioned. You think you are having problems with Ventrillo you should try getting Msn Messenger (Windows live Messenger) to work it's a real port hog.

In days of old it would just be a simple TCP connection for controlling the connection to the server and maybe one or two UDP ports to deal with the raw data. (The UDP ports increase the more types of media you attempt to use across it. i.e. Audio, Video, Typed)

If you want to know more about the protocol (TCP/UDP) you can either check the wiki entries at wikipedia or get hold of SAMs book "Teach yourself TCP/IP in 24 hrs".

From what little research I did, Ventrillo has to be SOCKSified, obviously you should search the UDP ranges that Ventrillo uses.

It's possible you might have to try and ask the server operator to change it to one you can access, if of course it's not some main server channel used by hundreds of people.

8. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

Hmm... have you thought about latency issues? Could get a nasty delay over the VoIP channel.

I take it you're after privacy rather than behind a firewall or whatnot? You should also consider TOR, which I think I mentioned elsewhere as being awesome (although even worse for latency, but if you want real-time you're best off making your own proxy somewhere)

9. Waddleh Registered Member

Thanks for the advice, i'm reading up using the wiki pages and starting to understand a little more, im going to try using a port scanner to see what ports i have available to me at my work place and then go from there, will post an update on my success or failure.

10. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Obviously a port scanner is an intense method, If your works has a decent IT guy then they will have logs identifying the probe. (In fact some countries class ita "Hacker" attack to probe networks with a scanner. Which means they see it as illegal.)

Obviously if you are going to go to such great extents and possible leave traces in regards to logs all over the place, you might as well just go up to the IT guy directly and ask him to open the ports for you.

To be honest they shouldn't have a problem with that if you are working a Graveyard shift. I know of people that work offshore and Play EVE, obviously every so often they have to stop playing to get on with some work but since they are just making sure things are running within their perimeters and perhaps doing inspection walks every hour or so, gaming doesn't really interfere with their job. (Also it means they are more approachable in emergencies compared to having to drag someone out of a toilet clutching a certain type of magazine.)

11. Waddleh Registered Member

haha @ toilet literature comment, before i ask my IT guy, I spoke to the ventrilo server hoster about changing ports to one that i can use, after reading up on wiki I found there are a good 45k ports to choose from, I now realise that the port has to be a specific UDP / TCP port to work but is it possible to either use any port like 80 for http or 8080 or even doubling up on a port that i know to be open to me 1080 which is my socks proxy?

12. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Most dynamically assigned ports occur above 1024, the ports up to 1024 are usually reserved for particular services (21 FTP, 25 SMTP, 80 HTTP)

When you have a proxy on your network, it will act as a Cache system with possible security filters implied. The reason that it's not usually just directed to "tunnel" port 80 to port 80 internally is usually because the System Administrator doesn't want to generate conflictions in regards to the port number as a wrongly configured proxy might not function and you'd have the true port 80 tunnelling, so it's best proxies use other ports. The usual ones are 1080 and 8080.

This means if you were to attempt to use 1080 it might go through filtering (Which means even the packets themselves might be checked by the filter for specific network traffic, disallowing any that doesn't fit a particular type).

In honesty your best bet (And probably your new best friend) is speaking to the IT guy. According to IT guy's through such site as this, they are usually quite happy to help and partial to a Beer when not working on the job.

13. Waddleh Registered Member

haha ok then thankyou all very very much for your help, i shall speak to the IT guy tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.