spooky data

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by DNA100, Jul 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DNA100 Registered Senior Member

i recently got a new computer and although i wanted to load the os myself,the guys providing the computer already loaded the os.

there are 2 drives correspoding to the hard disc->c and d.
    the funny thing is that even when there is no data in the d drive,it shows over 500 mb already occupied.i have checked that there is no hidden folder. why is that?
    i never noticed this thing before.is there anything to worry about this?

-thanks-

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John99 Banned Banned

any hidden files?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DNA100 Registered Senior Member

no i already said that there are no hidden files.

When you format the computer,or if it's a new computer,shouldn't the d drive show "0mb" space occupied?that's my question.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

It could be down to the partition type of the drive. The OS might be storing extra information in regards to file in that space. However if you are really concerned then you should get a copy of something like Ubuntu and use it to look at the partition while running a live disc.

8. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

It could be the "recovery" area of your hard drive. Many machines don't ship with a Windows recovery disk, and the installation data comes on a secondary partition of your hard drive. Don't delete the partition, or you won't be able to reload windows.

Some computers ask you to put a blank disk in the DVD drive, and will burn you a Windows install disk from that partition.

You usually can access the partition when the computers boots...it'll say something "hit F10 to start recovery console" or something like that.

Edit: IMHO...This is a really crappy way of doing things. Its like storing your parachute on the outside of the plane....If you really need it...you won't be able to access it.

If the entire drive crashes, after the warranty ends..which happens alot...you're screwed. I magine computer companies did this to save money or something.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.