No, I can't

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Vkothii, Jul 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vkothii Banned Banned

I've decided to make this my default response to any future requests to fix computers, or any other kinds of gadgets, unless the asker gives me the goods for free and doesn't want anything from me in return. In which case I might get around to looking at the thing someday.

It's a thankless enough thing to do as it is, so I've decided to abandon any attempt to aspire to a selfless attitude, and just say no.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John99 Banned Banned

It seems that way. And they call you over and over even asking for training on the programs they run.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

My dad always expects a crate of beer when he fixes computers.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Wow...that could be my "op".

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

As a fellow fixer of things...I too sometimes get frustrated with the constant requests from friends and co-workers to fix their shit..

Those that just say "thanks" without offering anything for my trouble sometimes bug me..as I'm not a free fix it service.

8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

There is a way to deal with it, however it can cause a little conflict.... It's called "Making a situation worse" rather than fixing a computer you basically make it even more unstable than it previously was, you'll find that you gain far less requests for your expertise.

On the other hand if you wanted to fix computers for a living, I'd suggest you at least get them to write you a "reference" suggesting what a great job you did, could be handy in either placing a business prospectus together to go Self-employed or perhaps trying to talk a company into hiring you.

9. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

FYI...as I was posting #4, on the bus on my phone...another passenger was asking me the difference between DSL and dial-up. I love helping people, but sometimes it can be overwhelming. I bet medical doctors get the same thing. As soon as someone finds out they're a doctor...they start firing out the "aches and pains" questions.

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I always help others if I can fixing their stuff no matter what it might be. From broken water pipes to crashing PC's I am ready to do what I can to help my friends out because I enjoy fixing stuff. I never expect anything in return for my help because that's the way I am. If you never expect anything from anyone , you'll never be disappointed! :itold:

11. phlogistician Banned Banned

I get it a fair bit. Sometimes it's cool (being let inside secure facilities because my friends work there and have no sys admin), and sometimes it sucks when a machine I touched several years previously dies, and there is an expectatin to provide continued support (if not revive it for free).

I'd had meals bought for me, and a few free items of clothing (decent stuff, not baggy t-shirts with a supplier logo on!), and that's OK.

I hate phone support, esp with friends or relatives, who aren't that tech savvy. It's time consuming and frustrating.

12. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Unfortunately, I have this thing called integrity, and pride in my workmanship...so that's not an option.

Damn ole Dad! Teaching me morals and telling me to always do shit the right way. Curse him!

13. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Same here.. however sometimes if you really aren't in the right mood to aid or have some other agenda it might cloud your judgement and mean that you can make a situation worse. So you have to keep a level head, or know when to bale out.

14. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I no longer have a phone just for this reason alone. You see Tech Support via phone from a large company means they have something similar to "Queue Cards". If somebody has a problem and it's not on a little card it get's referred to a Tech department to make a card. Those sorts of cards are usually the "Laymans step by step" and don't require the "Walk through off the top of your head" approach with Friends and Relatives tend to try and get people to do.

15. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

My mom's "little old lady" friends are the worst for giving phone tech support to. They really have no business trying to use a computer and really should just stick with pen and paper...so it takes the "Patience of Job" when dealing with them.

16. Vkothii Banned Banned

Sometimes, if you start to think there might just be some reward or recompense (the odd ddr, or mobo that "doesn't work", he he), then the wave collapses, and sure 'nuff, it's zip after all.

I had a pc handed to me that a mate had fried the supply on. Now I had an idea that modern, better-designed supplies had things called SCRs across the rectifier, which tend to protect the innards. I managed to get one of the drives to spin up, but didn't have the requisite parts (the ATA connector). So I tell the dude it might not be good news (too much hassle for me), and he goes "ok I'll come get it". Which of course, he didn't.

That was a month ago, and I bought another PS yesterday, thinking "ok, now lets check the mobo out", to discover my flatmate had assumed control and brought his friend into the scene, who happens to have an EE degree. So now they're going to buy this 2 yr old pc because "they fixed it".

So that's me out on the tiles, dispossessed of any hope of a prize; made redundant and in a completely arbitrary and thankless way; tossed aside like an old pc that doesn't do anything useful ('sob').
    Hence the new me, who will be saying: "you should take it to my flatmate's friend, he's a genius", etc.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  17. Dr Mabuse Percipient Thaumaturgist Registered Senior Member

18. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

OMG..I want that t-shirt...BAD!!!

19. Dr Mabuse Percipient Thaumaturgist Registered Senior Member

good grief man!!!

surely you know of 'ThinkGeek'?...

i've been ordering form there for like 10 years...

when i'm out with a shirt that has 'SYN' on the front and 'ACK' on the back, i know who the geeks are when they say 'cool shirt where did you get that?'...

or 'There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1'... i also have that bumper sticker... and an ascii clock... hell i have a ton of their stuff...

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/

20. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Awesome..I'll check them out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.