A question to liberals and athiests

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Norsefire, Jul 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Now this is a question to both individually, since I am not implying that every liberal is an athiest or vice versa. I'm sure there are many athiest conservatives or liberal theists.

Now, my question is, say you had children, would you force them to hold your views? And if they didn't, what would you do?

For liberals, let's say your children become anti-gay. What would you do?

And for atheists, let's say your children pick up a Bible and convert to Christianity, what would you do?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. snake river rufus Registered Senior Member

As long as they make informed decisions, I support them.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. scorpius a realist Valued Senior Member

punch my wife in the face,b/c theres no way such an imbecile could come out of MY loins!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

You wouldn't be very liberal if you did that, would you?

Carefully explain to them why they are wrong, and hope that they see the light.

Hope that they are moderate, sensible Christians, and not foaming-at-the-mouth fundamentalists.

8. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

9. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

I'm a conservative atheist, and I wouldn't force my kids to hold my views. I would like it if they were passionate enough about their belief to engage in debate so that I could make my case, but that's about it. I wouldn't punish my kid if he were a Christian, or a liberal.

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Who said anything about force?

Perhaps.

11. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Ok, fair enough. But ashura, I really wouldn't classify you as a conservative. No offense but you don't fit the conservative bill.

12. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Heh, you need to be clearer then with your words. When you say conservatism, I assume you mean the entire political deal. However, it seems like all you ever mean is social conservatism. If that's the case, you need to point that out every time you try and engage in a conversation like this (or in this case, say 'social liberals' in your OP'... but even then I wouldn't fully classify myself completely as a social liberal either. I wouldn't want to force gay marriage or pro choice upon a community, but rather have them be convinced like what's happening now in California with gay marriage.)

13. vslayer Registered Senior Member

i wouldnt force my beliefs on them, i would - like i do with everyone - ask that they see the full picture before casting judgement, and know the facts before forming an opinion.

14. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

It's just that I don't know many conservatives who are pro-abortion and gay rights and anti-CP

15. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

I don't think I've ever said I'm pro-abortion, and my CP stance is not so much against death as punishment but more so against giving the government that kind of power when there's so much room for error. I am fully pro gay rights though.

Also, see the edit I made to my last post.

16. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

But the error isn't a flaw in the punishment, it's a flaw in the legal system.

17. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

We can discuss that in a different thread if you like. Coming back to the OP, while I guess you wouldn't call me a conservative, I'm undoubtedly an atheist and I wouldn't force my atheism on my kid.

18. Roman Banned Banned

Force them. Then disown them, if forcing didn't work.

19. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i wouldnt force my lack of belife on my children but i would explain to them why i didnt belive in god. the same with my political views, that being said i wouldnt acept raceisum, sexisium, homphobia ect from them, this isnt just because its my belife but its also against the law

20. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I would expose my kids to every form of religion there is to show them that there are many ways to "believe" in something. Since I am not religious I wouldn't want them to be like me but would want them to choose what they want to believe in , if anything. If they chose Hindi I wouldn't mind because they knew about many other religions before making a choice whereas most children never have that opportunity and are lead down their parents paths to whatever they believed in without any regards to anything else.

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I'm an atheist, but my daughter is at church right now. She doesn't know I'm an atheist. Religion is a personal decision and I like to think I'm not going to make that decision for her. Of course, I'm lying to myself. There are some churches I wouldn't let her attend.
    As far as being anti-gay, we would have issues. I don't raise bigots.

22. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

If my child wants to be religious that's up to them.

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I would certainly let them know what my views are when the questions come, but I would never force them to be an atheist.

Anti-gay, I would have a talk with them and find out why they are anti-gay. And again let them know what my views are.
    If they aren't going to be convinced by me, then that's just fine. But they better not let me find out they are acting on it.

I'm not really liberal though, in my country I'm considered hmm.. center-left ?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.