Average laptop survival time?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Syzygys, Jul 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I was wondering how long the average laptop can be used with average usage? I understand it is a vogie question, and it depends on how it is beinf used.

Our (and my first) laptop (Acer) after 18 months is getting a bit overused. The clickpads although working they are broken and Acer said they would replace it for $450! Also on the screen vertical lines started to show up, so far on the side so it isn't bothersome. We use it pretty heavily, 4-6 hours a day, but still I expected a longer survival time for the laptop, although this was the cheapest in the line when we got it.

So is there a statistics how long laptops survive???

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

As you say, it depends on many things. The screens aren't like CRT's so they don't hold up to long and break down over a shorter period of time than a desk top with its own monitor. That's why having them both is a good idea, one you use constantly at home and the other use infrequently away from home.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

If this goes for another year, I am happy. After all it was about $500, so 3 years of usage is pretty good getting out of it...

Well, a similar thing about cellphones. Most of them die of being lost or getting wet and not general usage, so this could be the same with laptops...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

However long the warranty is. No joke - they have that shit down to a ~ a week now.

Blame consumer capitalism. Built to break.

8. Velocitor Registered Member

my compaq/Hp nx7010 laptop has lasted 5 years now....the screen stops working now and again if I move it, but ive recentl discovered that If i puch in a certain place on the bottom of the screen it fires up again....

Sweet.

Excellent Laptop all up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.