Upgrading a motherboard

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by alexb123, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

I have the Asus P5N32-E nForce 680i SLI Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 with a quad 6600 processor. What would be the fastest process that would run on this board?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. blobrana Registered Senior Member

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

Cheers for the links. Any ideas how much of an improvement my computer would get from a Q9450? Do you think it would be very noticeable?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. blobrana Registered Senior Member

you will perhaps not notice it.

There are faster chips out there, all that you need is for it to match the Front side bus (FSB 1333) and the socket type LGA775.

ie Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme Edition QX9650 "LGA775 Yorkfield" 3.00GHz (1333FSB) -

Best to invest the money in lots of good RAM

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

You could just buy a newer MOBO that will hold up to 8 GIGS of RAM.

9. blobrana Registered Senior Member

Does this Asus mobo not cope with 16 or 32GB of ram?

10. blobrana Registered Senior Member

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I couldn't find the specs.:shrug:

12. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Not even in the overclocking community where people strive to have fast systems will you often see 8 gb of RAM. The standard is 2 for XP and 4 for Vista 64. 8 would be a waste of money right now even though DDR2 is dirt cheap simply because it won't be necessary and DDR3's going to hit mainstream use just around the corner. Do you even have a 64-bit OS to take advantage of more than 3.x gigs of RAM?

You say upgrading your motherboard, but then you ask what the fastest processor out there is. What exactly are you looking for, what do you primarily do with your PC and are you not satisfied with your current system? Do you overclock, and how much RAM do you have right now?

13. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Unless your in a serious pissing contest with someone for benchmarking scores...any upgrade in processors you could make wouldn't even be noticeable in regular use. It's like asking: "I've got a Ferrari..is there anything faster out there?" There might be...but the only way you could see it is on the test track...not in daily driving.

14. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

Im only 32 bit Windows. I also only use the comp for normal stuff but I am finding that I can multi task much better than I use too with quad core which is great. But I do get lag at times if I am downloading bittorents, have word and net pages up and am playing music etc. It in no way is a priority to upgrade its just as I brought one of the slowest quad cores I wondered what the differance would be if I were to get a slightly faster one.

15. brokenpower Registered Senior Member

Unless you're often running a specific application that is optimized for multithreading, there's no compelling reason to run out and buy a quad-CPU desktop system today. It just makes no sense unless you want bragging rights. Few applications have such a demand, and they won't run faster because most applications, games, 3D rendering has a set processing speed anyway. Multitasking with a quad core is no faster than multitasking with a dual-core, IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.