Immortality- your thoughts and theories

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Norsefire, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

So, on immortality, a vague yet ultimately desirable concept. Of course, desirable to me. What of you?

And what would be the best methods of eternal life? I frankly don't understand the point of living if you will die in the end.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kadark Banned Banned

Norsefire,

Why are you so obsessed with immortality? It's an unachievable and undesirable aspiration, if you ask me. Immortality on a massive scale presents colossal implications, although what those implications exactly are is an entirely different, difficult-to-explain story. Most of the secretive worldwide endeavours today are calculated to reduce the human population - not ensure its survival.

Besides, all life originates with the intent to eventually end.

Kadark the Chosen

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Vkothii Banned Banned

Maybe not now, but you'll get there.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

No. I have a point. What is the point of living if you will die, waste away, and be forgotten in the end? I personally want immortality. Immortality is superiority. We Humans should be beyond death by now, surely?

To live and experience and influence, this is the purpose of life. Life is a challenge where the ultimate goal is to become a god.

And this cannot be done if you die. So how CAN humans become immortal?

8. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

not everything alive needs to have a meaning. I mean, sure one day we will be extinct, this planet will explode or something and we will end up just as insignificant as everything else.

and taking it from that perspective probably does make life quite insignificant.

just try to ignore that part and enjoy your life while you are still alive.

9. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

Even if you don't die, that doesn't make you a god.

Stop your body dying, or if you can't, transfer your consciousness elsewhere before it does.

10. iceaura Valued Senior Member

U K LeGuin has a fine SF story about an island where there are immortal people.

They can't die. You can visit them - for a small fee, their caretakers will show them to you and tell you their stories - how long they have been alive, how they lost their limbs, eyes, teeth, in various mishaps or diseases over the centuries, etc. If you stick around, you can see how they are fed by their caretakers - it's a religious duty, especially water and food, because even though they can't die they are thought to be able to suffer from thirst and so forth.

Eventually they harden into something like a diamond compound, the pure carbon. But that takes a while.

It's a disease, thought to be spread by the bite of a certain fly. Most visitors wear fly nets.

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

No matter what you might come up with eventually you will die of some reason. It is just a matter of when. I don't enjoy watching my family and friends die off as I continue to exist without them. True, I could find new ones every 30 or 40 years but that wouldn't be the same I don't think. I'd rather just take the time that's given to me and live the best I can while I'm here and be satisfied with that.

12. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

That's a bit like the Greek legend about the goddess who asked Zeus to make her lover immortal. She forgot to ask for him to stay young though

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

It makes a nice horror story, but physically it's impossible to stop someone from dying if their brain degrades enough.

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I don't want to be immortal.
    As for you, I thought you already had eternal life ?

14. draqon Banned Banned

I want to be immortal...but I want to have an ability to end this immortality if I so choose.

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

You should have a back-up. Pick someone who can end your life for you..

16. draqon Banned Banned

never. I will be the one to have that choice.

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

What if you end up as a vegetable ?

18. draqon Banned Banned

will it matter to me? if I am a vegetable? because if I am vegetable I will be dead pretty much. So no issues there.

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Paralyzed then..

20. draqon Banned Banned

geee... I guess the end of universe will finish me.

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

And you would have no choice in the matter.. you could pick me and when you get paralyzed order me to end you when you wish.

22. draqon Banned Banned

no thanks.

23. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

Build a robot and order it to finish you if you become paralyzed (or if it gets tired of taking orders).