Racism can be funny?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by spidergoat, Jul 13, 2008.

?

Can racism be funny?

1. Funny

11 vote(s)
    73.3%
  2. Not funny

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. No opinion

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. What the hell is wrong with you/ those people?

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Yes. Not when it's serious though, but I mean, as a joke

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kadark Banned Banned

Not funny at all. The moment I saw the painted faces, I was reminded of the racist blackface performers in America's and Britain's history. Blackface performances were, for the most part, White actors who blackened their skin, exaggerated their lip size to ridiculous proportions, wore wooly wigs, and made an ass out of themselves on stage in their role of playing a Black person. Here's an image of one such transformation:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The effects it had?

Stereotypes embodied in the stock characters of blackface minstrelsy played a significant role in cementing and proliferating racist images, attitudes and perceptions worldwide. In some quarters, the caricatures that were the legacy of blackface persist to the present day and are a cause of ongoing controversy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface

So yeah, sorry if I don't find such blatant racism "funny".

Kadark the Guiltless

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You should see the rest of his videos, he calls up Taco Bells as a black lady, insults people at Whole Foods, prank calls people at random. It's stupid, but I can't help myself. It's like "The 12 Days of Kwanzaa" by Shirley Liquor...

8. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

`
    Racism or no, it was fuckin' idiotic.

9. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

That video was pretty stupid, but I voted "funny" because racist jokes can be very funny. But that's the thing - they are jokes. I don't think real, genuine racism is funny at all, but if it's just a joke, then what's so wrong with laughing at it?

10. draqon Banned Banned

11. DeepThought Banned Banned

Well spotted.

12. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Thoughts on a possible fiasco

Of course racism can be funny. This doesn't necessarily mean it always is. The difference, of course, is problematic for many.

Remember that one of the primary—most accessible—forms of humor is cruelty. Once one recognizes that and begins to delineate the various cruelties and their bases, the rest is a matter of tact, taste, and timing. A man shouldn't cut a bitch joke at a NOW rally, and a white person probably should be very careful before pulling a nigger joke at a NAACP convention. Probably shouldn't make too many pedophile jokes at a meeting of the USCCB, or whatever it's called, although Catholics are good at laughing at themselves.

But in the end, it's knowing which joke to pull when. If one can't figure that out, that's their own problem; it's part of the reason I don't have much sympathy for people who whine about political correctness. I mean, it probably would have been hilarious, I suppose, to tell my grandmother to stick a zucchini up her ass, but it just wouldn't have gone over well. And then what, would I have gotten away with complaining of oppression?

13. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

14. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

I think that a lot of people find racism funny because it's become politically incorrect in the last few decades. People don't like to be told what they think and can't help but laugh in rebellion. And to be quite honest, there are hugely varying degrees of racism within society anyway. Blankets don't answer any questions.
    En plus, why is it that black people are who are being referred to most in this thread? Have I missed something? Are the only two races now the browbeaten blacks and evil Nazi whites?
    Forgive my ignorance... -__-

15. FirstNation Registered Member

It was funny for about 30 seconds, then it turned boring and lame.