Don't get drunk in Russia!

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by cosmictraveler, Jul 10, 2008.

1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

updated 2:28 p.m. ET, Wed., July. 9, 2008

ST PETERSBURG - A Russian woman in St. Petersburg killed her drunk husband with a folding couch, Russian media reported on Wednesday.

St. Petersburg's Channel Five said the man's wife, upset with her husband for being drunk and refusing to get up, kicked a handle after an argument, activating a mechanism that folds the couch up against a wall.

The couch, which doubles as a bed, folds up automatically in order to save space. The man fell between the mattress and the back of the couch, Channel Five quoted emergency workers as saying.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25606488/?GT1=43001

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Worked just like a mousetrap

So how exactly did he die? I don't imagine he was crushed or anything. Perhaps it was asphyxiation combined with sedation? People occasionally die from choking on their own vomit when combining pills with booze. Perhaps the nature of his death is similar in that respect.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Then again it might have been planned by his wife all along to get rid of him!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

Don't buy folding bed/industrial compactor combo units!

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Don't get drunk at all.

9. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Get drunk, just don't get married

10. draqon Banned Banned

lol....

11. Jozen-Bo The Wheel Spinning King!!! Registered Senior Member

I think this best sums it up!!!

12. draqon Banned Banned

anyways...she did not mean to actually kill him, more like to teach him a lesson...but here it is...I am def. not going to marry her. =p

13. draqon Banned Banned

I got to add however...that was one heavy duty mechanism to crush him instantly as news reports it.

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

What else are you supposed to do in Russia?

15. draqon Banned Banned

umm...enjoy life, what else

I luv Russia.

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Health alert as Russia’s alcohol consumption triples

Tony Halpin in Moscow
    Russians have gone on an alcohol binge remarkable even by their own formidable standards, according to the country’s chief public health officer.

The average Russian consumes almost three times as much alcohol as he did 16 years ago. A report by Gennadi Onishenko, head of the consumer protection agency, found that Russians drink 15 litres (26 pints) of pure alcohol per year, or half a pint a week, compared with 5.4 litres in 1990. That far exceeds the estimate of 9.7 litres made in 2005. The study calculated that at least 2.3 million people in Russia were alcoholics, and blamed rising mortality rates, particularly among men, on drink.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/article1647475.ece

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Russian levels of alcohol consumption and suicide are among the highest in the world. While observers have long suspected an association between the two, they were unable to investigate this hypothesis until recently due to past Soviet secrecy and thus a lack of data. This study took advantage of the newly available data during the post-Soviet era to examine the cross-sectional association between heavy drinking and suicide mortality in Russia. Aggregate mortality data for the Russian regions (n = 78) for the year 2000 were used to measure heavy drinking and suicide rates. Government data were used to control for the regional economic situation and strength of social institutions.

Ordinary Least Squares regression was employed to estimate the effect of a proxy for heavy drinking on overall and sex-specific age-adjusted suicide rates. The results showed a positive and significant association between the two, and the association held for overall, male and female rates. These results not only confirmed an association between heavy drinking and suicide in Russia, but when compared to findings from previous studies of other countries they led to the hypothesis that a nation’s beverage preference may be as important as its wet/dry drinking culture in its sensitivity of suicide rates to alcohol consumption.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1642767

18. draqon Banned Banned

nah cosmic, this one is bogus. Russians have been drinking vodka, but are now switching to beer. The alcohol consumption has lowered many times since end of 20th century. These sort of news are fueled by the new UK government of Gordon anti-Russian propaganda related to the UK secret service and shielding of ex-Russian-criminals.

19. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

So its all a lie and russians aren't alcoholics, hmmm that seems very unusual for many Russians I have met enjoyed drinking very much.

20. draqon Banned Banned

you met me, I am a Russian, I dont drink alcohol (only wine...7 times a yer).

21. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

LOL! You don't drink but you do, which is it?

22. draqon Banned Banned

I dont drink vodka. I drink red wine only, the only alcohol I drink, I drink it 7 times a year (yes I counted...)

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

In regular intervals ?