What is absinthe?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Randwolf, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

I know absinthe is a type of liqueur, but what makes it special?

It is illegal in the U.S., but why? What is different about it from, say, vodka?

Does it contain other drugs? A friend asked me about it today, and I really have no clue. Has anyone on here ever drank it? What are the affects?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Hey there is this wonderful thing called the internet or the interwebs or something, you should try it out sometimes. Someone claimed that you can get any kind of info from it, but judging by your post it is apparently untrue...

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. vslayer Registered Senior Member

supposedly the chemical 'thujone' in it has hallucinogenic effects, i cant say ive experienced any myself.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Hey, obviously, I could go find out the chemical makeup of absinthe from the net. I was more interested in personal anecdotes from SF members.

You should try actually reading an OP before you jump straight to condescending, moronic and absolutely useless posts.

Seriously, what are the affects? Subjectively?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  8. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Thanks vslayer. I knew that I could get some background information from the members here, as well as some first hand experiences. (hopefully)

9. shaman_ Registered Senior Member

The Absinthe that is sold today is less potent than the drink that caused many deaths a century ago. We can get it here in Australia.

It goes down like aniseed flavoured acid * and it packs a punch.

*Not referring to lsd, the acid that burns.

10. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Thanks. Sounds like you have maybe tasted it. Is the 'thujone' that vslayer mentioned similar in effect to lsd though?

11. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

So what held you back?

Except that's not what you asked. You asked general questions that could have been answered by Wikipedia very easily. On the interweb...

But I am with you, I can't wait for all the absinthe stories here...

12. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Really. So it's true what they say about you. You can't read. Let me isolate the relevant words from the OP for you. Can you comprehend if I feed it to you in seven word bites?

Note the question mark. Clearly "that's what I asked". Sorry for your confusion.

13. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

ummm sharman thats not strictly correct. What is SOLD in Australia as absianth is the achole MINUS the wormwood. Its illegal to bring REAL absianth into the country

14. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

It was thought to cause hallucination. It turns out it doesn't.

It's not illegal in the US anymore... not since the hallucinagen myth was debunked.

No narcotics.

Yep. No effects beyond normal alchohol.

15. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Quit the silly, childish nit-picking! You actually asked SEVERAL questions - that was just ONE of them!!!:bugeye:

Does someone need to list all of them for you since you obviously can't even read what you wrote yourself?

16. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Pfffffft. I realize I asked more than one question. I wasn't aware that was a faux pas. If I ever directly solicit input from you and Syzygys, I shall remember to do it slowly, in easily comprehensible words, say of three syllables or less.

In your case, Read Only (no comprehension involved) I think you did read the OP, plus post #9. I think you might have missed #2, by Syzygys:

Now, if you had to respond to a post like that what would you say? Evidently, something equally acerbic as my retort...

Back on topic...

I had always thought absinthe was illegal in the United States. Based on conflicting evidence presented in this thread, I did some research and discovered:

From: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/370260/absinthe_is_legal_in_the_united_states.html?cat=22 viewed July 10, 2008 at 2:16 AM EST
    From: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/370260/absinthe_is_legal_in_the_united_states.html?cat=22 viewed July 10, 2008 at 2:16 AM EST

So, apparently, it revolves around this mysterious 'thujone' that vslayer initially referenced.

I would like to revise (one) of my initial questions to ask if anyone that has drank absinth (or otherwise imbibed 'thujone') felt any hallucinogenic affects, or if the whole notion is absolute hogwash?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  17. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Thanks Crunchy Cat. On my first reading of your post, I missed the "Yep".

I guess I can tell my friend that the whole discussion was moot.

Unless others have differing experiences?

18. John99 Banned Banned

The kind you are asking about, is no longer available in U.S.

19. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Is it available anywhere? Also, how are you defining "the kind you are asking about"? Higher content of 'thujone'? Or did there used to be absinth with other potentially hallucinogenic ingredients?

20. John99 Banned Banned

No, its illegal. No one smuggling in bottles either, as far as i know.

21. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Actually, I meant anywhere in the world. Also, is there any difference between "legal" and "illegal" absinth other than the 'thujone' content?

22. TongaToad Registered Member

Hello, I know something about absinthe and the issues that are being raised here, especially about this terprene in grande wormwood - thujone - and the origins of one of the scientific studies that has been quoted. Is it OK for me to join the discussion?

23. shaman_ Registered Senior Member

It certainly is.