Can we sell our votes?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Syzygys, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

hey, for bullshit reasons my threads were deleted in 2 different reasons, citing plagiarism so I will write it with my own words in this 3rd forum:

Once upon a time in the home of the Free a student of voting age decided to sell his vote on Ebay. He started out for $10 but the bid raised quickly. Now he is charged with I don't know what, I can't mention the word because that would be plagiarism.

I don't think it is fair, that idiot moderators don't understand what plagiarism is, but hey, this is a scientic experience....

So should we be able to sell our votes??

P.S.: Was I unique enough?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

If you have a complaint about moderation, please post it in the Site Feedback forum, or PM an administrator.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

This thread is about selling our votes, so don't be offtopic.... I just had to put in my own words so it should be OBVIOUS for moderators that I am not plagiarising anyone...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Would I ever complain about moderation? It is the best I know!

So let's get back on topic: Did the kid commit a crime or was he just a good capitalist, trying to make a few bucks??

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Can't have a mix of both? It is a crime to buy off someone's vote, and the kid was trying to make a few bucks. Should it be a crime? I think so, our democratic republic is already ugly as it is. No need to introduce the possibility of some millionaire buying off votes en masse legally.

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

9. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Well, I can argue both ways. Politicans make a calculation usually how much money needs to be risen for certain offices for a successfull run. Also if you look at US presidential elections, money clearly talks. Most of the time the person outspending the competition wins. The pay is not direct to the voters but spent on advertisement and other campaign costs.

For example Obama outspent Hillary 5 to 1 and his result was only slightly better, so one can wonder what would have happened if they had had the same amount of money???

10. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

The difference is money spent on a campaign is supposed to influence someone immaterially, ignoring the obvious problem of things like social security or health care promises. In theory, the voters' are to be swayed by ideas and arguments. In practice that's obviously not the case.

McCain is an example of the opposite of your post's example, the man was broke and had to go in debt, and he still managed to snag the nomination.

11. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

But he was broke because he spent so much and he did outspend the rest. Now there was a millionaire who ran for an office in CA and he came in #3 after spending 40 millions of his own money...

12. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Yes, it's crime - and both the seller and buyer go to jail if convicted. I quoted the exact law (and penalities) for that offense in another thread.

Forgive me, but I'm not going to go back and dig it up again.

13. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

OK, so it is agains the law but should it be? After all if I can sell what is mine, and my vote is mine, I should be able to sell my vote.

14. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

did you watch the clip i posted?

if you alow the sale of votes then sociaty colaps

15. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Sorry, but that's just plain silly. Your life is yours, too, but it's illegal to sell it to someone who wants to go human hunting with a gun.

(Hmmm... perhaps we should make exceptions on the last one for anyone stupid enough to want to do it.)

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Aren't all politicians buying your votes one way or another? They advertise everywhere paying up wards to millions of dollars for you to vote for them. You really don't have any idea what they do when they get into office unless they are in trouble with the law. They persuade you to vote for them with money that you pay them in the form of donations. You shouldn't sell your votes because they are already paid for.

17. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

18. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I started it. Anyway, I disagree. The system doesn't work right now and society is just fine. Society also exists in dictatorships where there is no real voting, so your argument is invalid...

19. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

But that would go against another law, killing people. What's wrong with selling a vote, if it were not against the law? Cosmic is also right, they are buying it anyway with other methods, so why not direct selling???

We already established that, we are discussing if it is a good law or not...

20. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Because in a democracy everyone is supposed to have an equal vote. Obviously that's not exactly how it works here, but once you introduce the option of directly buying votes, some members of society suddenly have more than one vote via proxy.

21. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Since it takes an extraordinary amount of money to get elected to higher offices, I don't really see the difference if it is your money (being rich) or your funders...So the difference between members of the society already exists....

22. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

It's the principle of it. The extraordinary amount of money is used to convince people of ideas, not to directly buy their vote. Otherwise the person who always raises the most money would always be elected.