Gardening!

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Giambattista, Jul 7, 2008.

?

What do you grow in your garden?

1. I don't garden or grow anything.

16.7%
  2. Flowers

33.3%
  3. Vegetables

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Herbs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. At least two of the three categories.

33.3%
  6. I don't garden, but would be interested in starting.

16.7%
  1. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Flowers, vegetables, and herbs!!!!

oh my.

How many of you garden?

If you do garden, what do you grow? The basics? Flowers? Vegetables? Anything and everything???

I don't remember coming across any gardening threads so far, and I've been itching to start some kind of thread about this.

Plants, ultimately, make all of us possible. Let's talk.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

I like to grow flowers, vegetables, and herbs. Not particularly in that order.

I envy those who have sizeable tracts of land upon which to grow this and that. If I had more land, I would definitely have a nice strawberry patch, as well as several rows of raspberries. Mmmmm....
    :xctd:

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Flowers and Herbs, but to be honest the herbs are not used as such

And maybe I shouldn't call it gardening either.. I like the wild look. Not that it's a weed field though.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Yep, love it.
    Vegetables, fruit, herbs, flowers, lots of interesting Australian native shrubs and trees.
    I grow aromatic plants too, fragrant leaves and flowers.
    I might post a few pics but not tonight, I went diving today ( I've got lovely fresh fillets of fish and shark in the fridge now) but I'm completely rooted.

It's midwinter here and I'm harvesting lemons, limes, grapefruit, oranges, mandarins, tangeloes...yum!

8. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Oh.

Wildflowers in their natural appearance can be cool.

9. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Rooted? You really ARE the Spud Emperor, aren't you?

You lucky member of the Solanaceae family! So these are all on your land, I take it?

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I just take care of my lawn and shrubs in my yard. They require little maintenance but some watering and fertilizer. I don't have garden for when I did the wildlife here ate everything I had planted which really was a little unsettling for me to do all that work and they take everything that I had planted away from me.

:shrug:

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I've replanted some flowers, but I plan to do some extensive gardening. I'm still in the stage of preparing the soil, I might get to planting something next year. My soil is mostly hard packed clay, except for one part that the previous owners made a garden.

12. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

Don't garden, but I have many different colours of roses, red, white, orange, peach, pink, yellow, burgundy, and some almost black ones.

13. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Wow! Except for those who did respond, what a poor response! I thought there would be more people into growing plants...

14. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

What are you doing to prepare the soil?

15. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Had unusually voracious rabbits this year, decimated a number of things.

Some rabbit-proof fencing might be in order if you wish to attempt it again. Also, there are urine concentrates that you sprinkle around borders that smaller animals are frightened by.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I dig it up row by row and add peat moss and compost. I spend most of my time digging up the Himalayan Blackberry, which is invasive in Oregon. It grows about 30 feet a year, and has deep tap roots that break off easily, so they grow back.

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Giambattista, what are your favorite plants/flowers ?

18. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Homemade compost?

Well, I hope at least that you're making use of the blackberries when they are available! We have a blackberry here and it doesn't seem to do anything.
    Have raspberries though. They's good.

19. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Thou wilt not test the Giovanni thy Battista with such queries.

Jest. Thought no one would ask...

I like ... hmmm... well, you see, it's this way about that one thing... errmmm.. eeee...

It started years ago with some simple herbs.
    Mother raised on a farm. There is a history of gardening there. A history of practicality, I might add. She grew flowers and vegetables. I eventually got started, partly due to an interest that a friend of mine had, as well as my interest in medicinal herbs.

I kind of grow things alongside my mom, who is the main gardener, with some help from my dad. We grow flowers, vegetables, and herbs. Always adding things to the garden as well as landscape.

Your question about favourites: that's a little tough. I like lots of various things. Lettuces. Tomatoes, potatoes, onions. Basics.
    I grow also greek oregano, usually mints (those are a staple). Savory, both winter and summer variety.

For flowers, I like the whole gamut. I tend to like the less extravagant wildflower look over the large showy types of flowers, but it really doesn't matter. Just picked up a nice begonia with peach-coloured flowers a day ago. Also still planting seeds around the retaining rocks in the garden. The margins/borders etc.

Are you interested in any flowers in particular?

20. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Haven't the time.

I'm always too busy making popcorn.

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Some of it is homemade, but I don't produce enough. I buy some that is made locally of all the yardwaste they collect from the area.

The blackberries are hardly worth it for all the trouble the plants are to kill. These aren't the garden variety blackberry, they are monsters. If I left them for 3 years, I would not be able to get in my house.

22. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

I've been wanting to get some of the yard waste stuff myself. Think my parents picked some up once a few years ago. Time to get some more I spect.

Are they not prolific with the berries? I know the caneberry family (Rubus) can be a real killer. Literally. The golden raspberries are a destructive species in Hawaii.

23. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

You are a hoot. Er.

Time to go get the popcorn thread poppin.