Technical glitch

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Vkothii, Jul 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vkothii Banned Banned

I have a m8 - who knows I know about conputers (I have learned to hate, with a kind of quiet, almost calming hatred, the PC and "winduh-ohz" software, but you gotta love it); anyhoo his son had a m8 who, when using a certain PC, managed to flip the power supply mains voltage over from what it shoulda been left at, to what it shouldn't be if you turn the power on after doing it.

So what are the odds of a fairly new PC, that had a serious overvoltage and smoked the electrolytics across the rectifier, surviving at all? Does the supply have a thermal cutout, or does it connect the mains as soon as there's a voltage across said rectifier?
    Has just the supply "de-orbited" as it were, or did the rest of it crash and burn too?

I'm at the stage of considering trying out the memory and drives at least, on a working mobo, but I dunno. I've told the dude it could be "oh m8!", style of thing.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

its possable your harddrive might have servived and maybe even the chip and possable some of the cards. The disk drives should still work because they wouldnt have been on.

The mother board is a different story, it will be useful as a weapon to bash your son up with for playing around with the computer settings

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

(joking here) but thats about all

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Vkothii Banned Banned

I have this vague idea that modern supplies don't liven any rails until they have a stable input. But flipping the bridge over from 220 to 110 and hooking up 230 V, is a guaranteed cloud of smoke; there's a big black stain of soot on the inside cover of the PS, from both the big caps. There's a fuse, but that's for current protection on the output.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.