Which one sings better?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by draqon, Jul 3, 2008.

1. draqon Banned Banned

In Japan a cultural phenomenon is karaoke and so it is gaining quite a popularity elsewhere (Russia especially...) here I had stumbled upon a youtube user submitted gigantic sections of karaoke with people singing the songs in their own voice. It seems to me though that the user submitted songs are much much better then their original counterparts...judge yourself.

original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFUk4xQvzk0&feature=PlayList&p=FA2E8B68D51B7250&index=8

user-submitted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UflQ695VgNs&feature=PlayList&p=FA2E8B68D51B7250&index=9

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

They have two different styles. The recording artist sticks to the traditional American pre-rock'n'roll pop style that's still very popular in Japan, and she does it perfectly. The karaoke singer pushes it forward into a more modern style. She's got the style down very well. She doesn't have as pretty a voice as the pro, but that wouldn't be appropriate for what she's doing. It's like comparing Céline Dion to Björk, they're doing two different things pretty well.

It's hard to judge any better than that without understanding the lyrics. It's not hard to do a silly romantic voice to a silly romantic song, but it's much harder to put an edge on it. You have to choose your material carefully and I have no way of knowing whether this is the right material for an edgy voice. If it's just a silly romantic song it would fall flat sung that way--like Björk singing one of Céline's early French-language love songs.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

yeah you got that right, she got a pretty voice for sure. romantic voice.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.