Chemistry Set

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by thecollage, Jul 3, 2008.

1. thecollage Registered Senior Member

Why is it now, chemistry sets are almost taboo? Some of the chemicals are also next to impossible to get a hold of? That sucks. I had a blast with mine when I was a little guy.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

you can still buy them at places like national geographic, other science type shops and musiams most notically sciencworks (the victorian science musiam)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

I've also noticed that. The ones I have seen don't seem as good as the one I had when I was a kid. Maybe that's just because I'm older now.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i still have mine somewhere around here, or maybe its at my parents house.

8. CelticMadScientist Registered Member

It's not because you're older RubiksMaster, it really is true. Even read an article on the evolution of it. Back in mid 20th century, the space age was going and they packed those kits with all sorts of things, hoping to help breed a new generation of rocket scientists. Now, there is more caution and fear both in societal circles and parenting.

I recently saw a video on how to obtain aqueous iodine from KI, I think. Makezine distributed it, because amateur scientists who need iodine can't just go to an outdoor store and buy water purification kits. I think you have to be a certain age and sign a paper putting you on a government list, because the FDA changed the schedule that iodine falls under (it's worried since it can be used for meth or some drug I think). Don't know if it's the same deal as for buying pseudoephedrine (Sudafed - which is a maintenance drug my doctor recommends for me), but certainly a pain at least.

I have one from the 80's, Omnilab, and even some of the stuff in it would probably be a little hard to find.

It really is sad.

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Kids get lots of ideas and supplies for elementary and middle school chemistry projects. CHEM C3000 is the ultimate chemistry kit. By performing 360 fascinating and fun experiments in a complete and well-balanced curriculum, you will learn first-hand every fundamental principle of this essential science, and more. You will start with fun experiments to learn basic chemistry principles. Build a mini fire extinguisher and float a soap-powered boat. Write with invisible ink and test colored markers on the chromatography racetrack. Entertain your friends with “magic” tricks, and then enlighten them with the scientific explanations behind the magic. Make dazzling colors in flame tests and produce electricity in a test tube.
    You will learn how to use the alcohol burner and perform experiments that require heat. Separate mixtures, add carbon dioxide to water and produce oxygen gas from hydrogen peroxide.
    Experiment with fuels and combustion. Make your own hydrochloric acid. Build a strong foundation in chemistry with exposure to a broad range of chemical phenomena and hands-on lab experience. As you gain experience with the tools and chemicals of the modern chem lab, you with also learn advanced topics such as chemical equations, atomic structures and the periodic table — concepts that are critical to continued study of chemistry.
    CHEM C3000 is an excellent way to prepare for high-school level, and even college level, chemistry. Thorough safety precautions and instructions ensure safe experimentation. Professional quality equipment and an easy-to-follow Experiment Manual help you make the most of your chemistry experiments.

http://www.learningthings.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=TK-645014&eq=&Tp=

10. Connect-the-Stars Registered Senior Member

I had one, the microscope was ok, but no real light, I had to use a little mirror. >.<

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Forgot to say that the chemistry set I posted is available today for only 200.00 US!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Sci-guy Registered Member

Chemistry sets and science experiments in general in elementary school and high school were boring and caused kids to develop a negative connotation with science. Also the curriculum was really simplified so you don't learn anything usefull or interesting until chemistry and physics (at least in the state of NY) because those are not mandated classes so they can be more difficult. The classes are more fact memorization oriented then concept oriented, which really prevents the subject from being useful to students outside the classroom. With out the great slightly dangerous experiments of science and a difficult curriculum that challenges a student, then there is nothing to entice people to major in the subject and it just becomes a task of memorization.

We need more dangerous science kits it will entice more kids to view science as an exciting subject, because science is conducted as much in a lab as on a chalk board so there should be an equal proportion of each.