Another Batch Of Inspirational / Insightful Quotes

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Lykan, Jun 16, 2002.

1. Lykan Golden Sparkler Registered Senior Member

"Complete possession is proved only by giving. All you are unable to give possesses you." - Andre Gide

"My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness." - The Dalai Lama

"Do every act of your life as if it were your last." - Marcus Aurelius

"I am done with great things and big plans, great institutions and big success. I am for those tiny, invisible loving human forces that work from individual to individual, creeping through the crannies of the world like so many rootlets, or like the capillary oozing of water, which, if given time, will rend the hardest monuments of pride." - William James

"What good will it do you to think, 'Oh, I have done evil, I have made many mistakes'? It requires no ghost to tell us that. Bring in the light, and the evil goes out in a moment." - Vivekananda

"It's one thing to have a thought occur to you, and it's another thing to choose to dwell on that thought." - Richard Vines Jr

"What you deny to others will be denied to you, for the plain reason that you are always legislating for yourself; all your words and actions define the world you want to live in." - Thaddeus Golas

"A human being is a part of the whole that we call the universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest -- a kind of optical illusion of his consciousness. This illusion is a prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for only the few people nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living beings and all of nature." - Albert Einstein

"Some day, after we have mastered the winds, the waves, the tides and gravity we shall harness the energies of love. Then, for the second time in the history of the world, humanity will have discovered fire." - Teilhard de Chardin

"Let us not be satisfied with just giving money. Money is not enough, money can be got, but they need your hearts to love them. So spread your love everywhere you go." - Mother Teresa

"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end." - Ursula K. LeGuin

"To receive everything, one must open one's hands and give." - Taisen Deshimaru

"When we think we're separate, we lose power. Whenever I say 'my,' I have lost my power. Power is not *my* power... It is only gainable as part of a larger whole. Then you communicate with the rest of yourself -- which may be a tree. You, reciprocally, are moved by the universe. Whenever you shut down connectedness, you get depressed... It's fearful to know we're connected to everything in the universe, because then we're responsible." - Glenda Taylor

"The mother who gives up her life for her children does them no kindness but rather burdens them with the legacy of a life unlived." - Janet Falldron

"There is a love like a small lamp, which goes out when the oil is consumed; or like a stream which dries up when it doesn't rain. But there is a love that is like a mighty spring gushing up out of the earth; it keeps flowing forever, and is inexhaustible." - Isaac of Nineveh

"Every human being is your counterpart. Every other human being possesses and embodies aspects of yourself: your dreams, your sorrows, your hope that your life will not turn out to be a joke. For each of us there was a time when the world was young, a springtime of spirit that was later tested by the winters of discontent; and in the midst of each of our lives lies the haunting shadow of death. Therefore we are all quite alike; indeed at the core we are all one, all lost -- and found -- in the same mysterious enterprise that is life. Hold this in your heart as you go about your day, and the world will cease to be inhabited by strangers, and the burden of life itself will no longer be a process of loneliness." - Daphne Rose Kingma

"It is one of the most beautiful compensations of life that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"The beginning and end of Torah is performing acts of loving kindness." - The Talmud

"Our lives are fed by kind words and gracious behavior. We are nourished by expressions like 'excuse me,' and other such simple courtesies... Rudeness, the absence of the sacrament of consideration, is but another mark that our time-is-money society is lacking in spirituality, if not also in its enjoyment of life." - Ed Hays

"Give light, and the darkness will disappear of itself." - Erasmus

"The heart that breaks open can contain the whole universe." - Joanna Macy

"We who lived in concentration camps can remember the ones who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken away from a person but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way." - Viktor Frankl

"Each small task of everyday life is part of the total harmony of the universe." - St. Theresa of Lisieux

"Little kindnesses will broaden your heart, and slowly you will habituate yourself to helping your fellow man in many ways." - Zadik

"Our deeds determine us, as much as we determine our deeds." - George Eliot

"True kindness presupposed the faculty of imagining as one's own the suffering and joy of others." - Andre Gide

"He or she alone is great who turns the voice of the wind into a song made sweeter by their own loving." - Kahlil Gibran

"Let us be kinder to one another." - Aldous Huxley, on his deathbed

"Do everything with a mind that lets go. Do not expect praise or reward." - Achaan Chah

"A knowledge of the path cannot be substituted for putting one foot in front of the other." - M.C. Richards

"No joy can equal the joy of serving others." - Sai Baba

"I try to give to the poor people for love what the rich could get for money. No, I wouldn't touch a leper for a thousand pounds, yet I willingly cure him for the love of God." - Mother Teresa

"Wherever there is a human being there is an opportunity for kindness." - Seneca

"There must be more to life than having everything!" - Maurice Sendak

"Let us not be justices of the peace, but angels of peace." - St. Theresa of Lisieux

"The great, dominant, all-controlling fact of this life is the innate bias of the human spirit, not towards evil, as the theologists tell us, but towards good. But for that bias, man would never have been man; he would only have been one more species of wild animal ranging a savage, uncultivated globe, the reeking battleground of sheer instinct and appetite." - William Archer

"Charity is the bone shared with the dog when you are just as hungry as the dog." - Jack London

"The course of human history is determined, not by what happens in the skies, but by what takes place in our hearts." - Sir Arthur Keith

"Kindness is a language which the dumb can speak, the deaf can understand." - C.N. Bovee

"Man should not consider his material possessions his own, but common to all, so as to share them without hesitation when others are in need." - St. Thomas Aquinas

"A gift consists not in what is done or given, but in the intention of the giver or doer." - Seneca

"Five things constitute perfect virtue: gravity, magnanimity, earnestness, sincerity and kindness." - Confucius

"Kindness is the noblest weapon to conquer with." - American proverb

"Sometimes you do things just because you feel they're the right thing to do, even if it doesn't make sense when you think about it logically." - Melissa Good

"Believe nothing, O monks, merely because you have been told it... Do not believe what your teacher tells you merely out of respect for the teacher. But whatsoever, after due examination and analysis, you find to be kind, conducive to the good, the benefit, the welfare of all beings -- that doctrine take as your guide." - Buddha

"What wisdom can you find that is greater than kindness?" - Jean Jacques Rousseau

"Agape is understanding, creative, redemptive goodwill toward all men. Agape is an overflowing love which seeks nothing in return. Theologians would say that it is the love of God operating in the human heart. When you rise to love on this level, you love all men not because you like them, not because their ways appeal to you, but you love them because God loves them." - Martin Luther King Jr

"Our brightest blazes of gladness are commonly kindled by unexpected sparks." - Dr. Johnson

"Sometimes, the most courageous thing you can do is surrender." - Melissa Good

"When I give I give myself." - Walt Whitman

"T'was her thinking of others that made you think of her." - Elizabeth B Browning

"Linear time is an illusion of perception. (Eternity is all there is.) We have all already attained our enlightenment -- we are just retracing our steps as to how we got there. Welcome Home." - Sam Bouman

"If art is to nourish the roots of our culture, society must set the artist free to follow his vision wherever it takes him." - John F. Kennedy

"Life is an endless series of adjustments." - Melissa Good

"Unless there's any kind of feelings behind sex, it doesn't mean much at all. It's just an act, like eating, or throwing a rock or whatever. Then I found out that when you have feelings for someone, what you're doing doesn't matter nearly as much as who you're doing it with -- and the stronger those feelings are, the less it matters." - Melissa Good

"You can't live your life based on what might go wrong, not if you have a chance at being happy. You have to live life for the good parts." - Melissa Good

"You must understand the whole of life, not just one little part of it. That is why you must read, that is why you must look at the skies, that is why you must sing, and dance, and write poems, and suffer, and understand, for all that is life." - J. Krishnamurti

"Most peoples' abilities are woven so tightly into their image of themselves, that they aren't sure what would be left if that were to unravel." - Melissa Good

"It is the secret of the world that all things subsist and do not die, but only retire a little from sight and afterwards return again." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"...as we live through thousands of dreams in our present life, so is our present life only one of many thousands of such lives which we enter from the other, more real life..." - Count Leo Tolstoy

"There grew a power within me of enormous ken, to see as a god sees, and take the depth of things as nimbly as the outward eye can size and shape pervade." - John Keats

"A cold night makes the stars clearer somehow..." - Melissa Good

"One of the things I've come to learn is that everything comes with both its benefits as well as its drawbacks, though one or the other may not be very discernable at first." - Richard Vines Jr

"I fear we think too lightly of the gift of mortality, which, too gigantic to comprehend, certainly cannot be estimated." - Emily Dickinson

"Each time a person stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others... they send forth a ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current that can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance." - Robert F. Kennedy

"Though we each know our own heaven and hell, someone who hasn't experienced one or the other so fully cannot comprehend the depths of someone who has been through more -- they may occasionally get glimpses of it, but it's simply out of their realm of experience." - Richard Vines Jr

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." - Friedrich Nietzsche

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

"If the facts don't fit the theory, then change the facts. "

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"Only a real risk tests the reality of a belief."

"True religion is real living; living with all ones soul, all ones goodness and righteousness."

"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."

"This world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who do evil, but because of the people who stand by and let them."

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity."

"If success is equal to A, then A=x+y+z. X=play, Y=work, Z= to keeping your mouth shut."

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious."

"The search and striving for truth and knowledge is one of the highest of man's qualities."

"By painful experience we have learnt that rational thinking does not suffice to solve the problems of our social life.

"The state considers it necessary to educate its citizens for the possibilities of war, an "education" not only corrupting to the soul and spirit of the young, but also affecting the mentality of adults."

"What task could possibly be more important for us? What social aim could be closer to our hearts? We must build spiritual and scientific bridges linking the nations of the world. We must overcome the horrible obstacles of national frontiers."

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind. Science not only purifies the religious impulse of the dross of its anthropomorphism, but also contributes to a religious spiritualization of our understanding of life."

"By spiritualizing of the emotions and of thought man owes the most subtle and refined pleasures of which he is capable."

"The value of a man, however, should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive."

"The point is to develop the childlike inclination for play, the childlike desire for recognition and to guide the child over to important fields for society; it is that education which in the main is founded upon the desire for successful activity and acknowledgement."

"In contrast to psychology, physics treats directly only of sense experiences and of the "understanding" of their connection. But even the concept of the "real external world" of everyday thinking rests exclusively on sense impressions."

"The connection of the elementary concepts of everyday thinking with complexes of sense experiences, can only be comprehended intuitively, and it is unadaptable to scientifically logical fixation."

"We now realize; with special clarity, how much in error are those theorists who believe that theory comes inductively from experiences. Even the great Newton could not free himself from this error ('Hypothesis non fingo'). "

"Logical thinking is necessarily deductive, it is based upon hypothetical concepts and axioms."

"It is open to every man to choose the direction of his striving, and also every man may draw comfort from Lessing's fine saying, that the search for truth is more precious than its possession. "

[SIZE=3"]When language becomes thus partially independent from the background of impressions, a greater inner coherence is gained."[/SIZE]

"For the scientist, there is only "being" but no wishing, no valuing, no good, no evil, no goal. As long as we remain within the realm of science proper, we can never meet with a sentence of the type : "Thou shalt not lie."

"It is only a slight exaggeration to say, that mankind constitutes even now a planetary community of production and consumption."

"Production is carried on for profit, not for use. There is no provision that all those able and willing to work will always be in a position to find employment, an "army of unemployed" almost always exists."

"Unlimited competition leads to a huge waste of labor, and to that crippling of the social consciousness of individuals."

"A permanent peace cannot be prepared by threats but only by the honest attempt to create mutual trust."

"I lived in solitude in the country and noticed how the monotony of a quiet life stimulates the creative mind."

"We must revolutionize our thinking, revolutionize our actions and must have the courage to revolutionize relations among the nations of the world."

"To act intelligently in human affairs is only possible if an attempt is made to understand the thoughts, motives, and apprehensions of one's opponent so fully that one can see the world through his eyes."

"The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. One could say, that it has affected us quantitatively, not qualitatively."

"To think of Isaac Newton is to think of his work. For such a man can be understood only by thinking of him as a scene on which the struggle for eternal truth took place."

"No one can fully appreciate how much hard and tireless work was required to discover these laws and ascertain them with such precision."

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."

"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious; it is the fundamental emotion, which stands at the cradle of true art and true science."

"The gift of imagination has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge."

"It is true that our time has accumulated more knowledge than any earlier age, that love of truth and insight, which lent wings to the spirit of the Renaissance has grown cold, giving way to sober specialization rooted in the material spheres of society rather than in the spiritual."

"I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings."

"I want to know how God created this world. I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts; the rest are details."

"I have become rather like King Midas, except that everything turns not into gold but into a circus."

"Quantum mechanics is certainly imposing. But an inner voice tells me that it is not yet the real thing. The theory says a lot, but does not really bring us closer to the secret of the 'Old One.' I, at any rate, am convinced that He is not playing at dice."

Albert Eintein...

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Religion is the opiate of the masses.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

That is so old Tyler, why not change it to a statement more appropriate for this time like: Money is the opiate of the masses.

8. Xev Registered Senior Member

'Cuz Marx would not have agreed with you, Bebe.

Anyways, words of wisdom:

Wow! Words to live by, by Barnes and Barnes.

(Er, yeah, I'm somwhat buzzed)

"Demon pizza is evil"

"Windows is a purulent, festering boil on the anus of a cancerous rat."

"Xev, be wary of demons and their evil temptations! Or you shall be ensnared in demonic bondage."

"Demon pizza is evil. Demon pie is evil. Demons are evil."

"I know your type. The problem with you "skeptics" is that all you want is proof, proof, proof!"

"BDSM? Is that like 'USDA'?"

"READ THE BIBLE YOU ATHIESTIC SLUT!"

--FoxMulder

"The insensability rationalism causes is absolutly impressionant" --Truthseeker

We have some really wise posters here.

Edit for more FoxMulder:

"Yes! Athiests, God loves us! Every one of us! But God hates sinners!"

"YES IT DOES! ADAM NEEDS TO WAKE UP TO THE TRUTH! Otherwise, he will never be 'credible'."

And some of Sir Loone:

"HTML LOVE is GOD's love to me and you!"

"Beware! All fornicators & adulterers shall have their part in the Lake of Fire, prepared for the Devil and his (fallen) angels! JESUS, the real JESUS saves you from this awful fate! All you need is faith in Him 'alone' for salvation!"

"You can giggle for ever in Heaven! But here on Earth, it's only temparal!"

"Adultery and fornication is condemd of GOD! That is still true even as I have stated it!

Nothing is abserd nor irrational of the truths of GOD's Word! You to come to the real truth!
    GOD has made a way out of sin's power by JESUS, Xev, believing on Him alone for forgiviness!"

"Monkey in Austraila, are you drunk?"

"You people that know not GOD are funnyer then the comic scripts! HA! HA! HA! GOD love you, but hates the sin!"

From Adam:

"We, the Holy Legions of Helga the Heavybreasted hereby declare Holy War on the Cthulhuan infidels! We have guns, we have the numbers, WE are taking over!"

""i'm bored. someone please kill me.""

"To serve is not divine, holy, or even human, in any way, ever, for any reason or belief. Freedom is our divine right. Not service. There is not one creature in this universe or any other who is above me and worthy of my service."

Xev:
    "Loone, you keep your Bible-thumping hands off my man!"

The secrets of the universe revealed in one sentance.

"And don't overdo the Bible stuff, you'll get hairy psalms. Just like mother said. "

Last edited: Jun 18, 2002
  9. Lykan Golden Sparkler Registered Senior Member

Fishheads is such a funny song. I remember seeing the video when i was a kid and freaking out. And then i downloaded it a couple months ago and kept having it reappear in my thoughts in the several days after.

With the Tyler quote, i think it would be more accurate to say that religion is an opiate with many people; money is an opiate with many people; sex is an opiate with many people; power over others is an opiate with many people; sugar is an opiate with many people; caffeine is an opiate with many people; listening to music is an opiate with many people; watching TV is an opiate with many people; being on the Internet is an opiate with many people; etc etc. It's all about attachment and addiction.

10. Lykan Golden Sparkler Registered Senior Member

"A frog in a well cannot be talked to about the sea." -- Chuang Tzu

11. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Lykan, tell me about it....
    I'm moving to a small town soon, full of frogs.

12. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Quoth Truthseeker a.k.a. Nelson

"Well... I don't understand that... so I can't discuss it... "

13. Lykan Golden Sparkler Registered Senior Member

"The trick to problem solving is to get to the root of the problem before the rest of it shows up." -- Dadi Janki

14. thecurly1 Registered Senior Member

"We must love one another or die," W.H. Auden quoted
    in "September 1, 1939".

15. Lykan Golden Sparkler Registered Senior Member

"Time is simultaneous flexible subjectivity." -- Thea Alexander

16. Sublime Trigger Brains for Beginners. Registered Senior Member

'I am your father!' ---Darth Vader

the precursor to, ----'who's your daddy?'

17. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Haha, brilliant!
    I know there's another thread of movie quotes where this has been said (quite possibly by me!), but here's the quotes that inspire my whole drug attitude;

"We can't stop here. This is bat country!"

"The idea to flee came quickly....................(pause).........or........(pause)...........maybe not"

18. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

Haha... I started a new religion! I see quote threads all the time since i posted mine a few months ago! have fun!

"Life's a bitch" Tristan

19. Kater Registered Member

The problem with getting where your going is the inevitable problem of remembering why you were going there in the first place.

20. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Welcome to sciforums, Kater.

21. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

hey all

welcome, "Kater" may your journey unfold like a mystery of the heart that grows with love and constructs like a "deciple builder".

"A frog in a well cannot be talked to about the sea." -- Chuang Tzu

unfortunately the inference of such a statement to the average human is that the frog is usless to the sea.

all learned ones will see the biggotry of such perception and hope all may not swing alone on such a statement.
    *all respect to the auther*

groove on all