Helmsley’s well-heeled dog loses $10 million

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Mickmeister, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

Here is the article on Helmsley's dog losing $10,000,000 of the $12,000,000 she left him. I don't see how a judge could overrule this. It is scary that her own wishes could be changed like that. In essence, they sidestepped the law.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

two of her grandchildren get 5 mil each

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

Exactly, and she did not want them to get the money. I just don't see how a judge can do that.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

Well I support judge's decision.

8. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

I am just glad the judge honored her other $5 billion bequest to animal shelters.

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

To me whenever anyone wants to make a will, is in a good frame of mind and in good health and can determine what's going on, they should be able to write what they want done with their money that they earned themselves. To take anything away , to me, is just not Kosher and should be challanged by her lkast lawyer or whoever represented her at the testate hearing.

10. John99 Banned Banned

At some point a sane party needs to step in because leaving $12 million to a dog is way beyond eccentric.

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Perhaps she was really pissed off at her family because they were all assholes that only took advantage of her because of her wealth while she was alive. She only had her dogs that gave her support and comfort, probably allot more than her family ever did. So when she died she just wanted those assholes to feel a little grief knowing her money wouldn't be coming their way. A possibility.:shrug:

12. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Perhaps, but since she was a bitch ("only poor people pay taxes"), it is nice that they screwed her in her death...

13. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

True, but leaving to other people instead, people who she specifically didn't allocate the money for, still seems off.

14. superstring01 Moderator

Agreed. It was her money.

My grandfather was extremely wealthy. He left it all to his second wife, with whom he fuck around while he was married to my grandmother. Everybody hates her. She got like $20million. We got nothing. I'm okay with that.

Don't get me wrong, I would have been even more okay with getting a few hundred grand (supposedly there's "something" for us when she dies), but it was his money, she made him happy, and it was his to bequeath. My aunts have been in a lawsuit with her for five years now and I refuse to participate. It's ridiculous. He made his money on his own without anybody's help (except my deceased grandmother), he was of sound mind when he made his will and it was his to give who whomever he wanted.

If I get some, I get some. If I don't, I don't.

~String

15. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Well, I think the OP wanted to point out that for a little yapping dog even 2 million is excessive. They could have given that extra 10 million to charity, but I guess the judge thougth that family members are more deserving...

I still would like to be the executioner of the will for the dog...Also what happens with the leftover money if the dog dies???

16. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

This happens all the time even when money is left to humans.
    My cousin had this elderly man (a friend of our grandmother) who mentored him and taught him how to be a farmer and etc, since my cousin was a baby he was raised by this old man like a son, he had no dad and his mother was a retard of some kind (brain damaged I think), and the old man's own children wanted nothing to do with him, anyway he clearly in his will left his farm and other house and most of his money to my cousin, and a little money to his children.
    My cousin has ended up with not much at all, half the selling price of the little house, the old man's children ended up with all the money and the farm even though he explicitly didn't want them getting it.
    Seems wills aren't worth that much in the end. Lawyers can usually get the bulk of an inheritance for offspring whether the dead person wanted them to get it or not.

In a way I agree with it, but more for the children of the deceased being placed above 2nd/3rd/4th wives and their children. You can imagine the opposite of my cousin's situation, where the sweet innocent children are abandoned by the pervert old man who gets a new blonde money grubbing wife who has sleazy spoiled fubu-wearing children from previous sugar daddy relationships who curse and spit. Then it should be like fuck the wishes of the old man and his slut trophy wife and her cunty kids, the biological kids shivering in squalor since their slimeball dad abandoned them should get the inheritence.
    That's a more common situation than the one with my cousin, where the biological children were the bad guys and the decent old man raised the son of a retard to take over his farm when he died.
    Ideally the judge would get a genuine insight into the situation before making a decision.

17. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

If the rich person really want to piss off the kids/relatives, he/she should leave the money to a non-relative person, instead of an animal. A person WILL fight for it and even if the relatives get some of it, the process might take years and shitload of money...

18. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i agree with in reason. There are laws which relate to taking care of imidiate family (ie your partner and your children) and there are times a will SHOULD be challanged for instance, when they forgot to update it for 20 years and didnt take into acount the fact that they are devorced and living with a new spouse\partner or when they havent updated it after having children. This is especially true with younger couples who dont expect themselves to die for 30-40 or more years and get killed in a car acident.

19. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

The perfect thing would be to have your estate buy automobiles and then have them crushed. That way no one gets money.

20. John99 Banned Banned

What is interesting is that she first gave all the other money (billions) to help hte poor and then she changed it to animal shelters. That is the story anyway.

21. John99 Banned Banned

That is bizarre.

22. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

You know, you can actually burn money. It is easier than crashing cars...

Not giving money to relatives or not being bothered by it?